1.7 not starting

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dclark97

First time posting on one of these just hoping for some ideas from someone as we're completely stuck. Stuck a 1.7 puma engine into a mk4 fiesta, got it all running fine (apart from a misfire on cylinder 3) and managed to get the mot on it. I was driving it the night it got the MOT and it suddenly cut out as if I stalled (i was going around 40mph). Pulled over and went to restart it and all I got was a single click from the starter Motor and then nothing.
We have just replaced the starter motor with a second hand one off Ebay and still having the exact same problem.
If anyone knows what the problem could be then I'd be incredibly grateful

Welcome out of the shadows :grin:

Good luck with your issue, I guess you've done all the basic checks like battery voltage? Make sure the cable to the starter is secure etc?

Try turning the engine over in gear (3rd for example) via a wheel with one side jacked up to see if the engine is seized.

As you have already swapped out the starter, is this an intermittent issue?

If the starter solenoid is clicking then I would assume that is working - assuming that the clicking is the solenoid and not a relay. The starter itself is connected directly to the battery so that theoretically should work if the solenoid is OK.

Maybe bench test the starter out of the car a few times to see if it consistently works or doesn't. If it fails to work outside the car I would say the starter is faulty. If it works every time but fails at times in the car then we could say the fault lays with the car.

Is there anything else noticeable when you try to start it? Do the speedo/rev gauges sweep over and back? If you were to put the side lights on would they dim when you try to start it..?

Back