1.7 won't start...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still slowly trying to improve the Millennium I inherited in the Autumn, but with very limited practical experience and tools, and limited enthusiasm to touch anything much while the weather is cold and wet. Many small things to do, but also a few things that feel like 'warning signs'. But that's for another day...
Today, it wouldn't start.
It's cold, damp and dark, so I only did a quick note on behaviour and could make more detailed notes later if needed, but hopefully this is another for some ideas -
  • dash lights up as usual, internal lights fine (maybe a touch dim, but they're always dim so not sure it's any different)
  • The dials 'sweep' on turning key (from 1 to 2, I think).
  • Oil and battery lights stay on in position 2
  • I hear the fuel pump prime (at least I think that's what it is). The pump has been whining for much of the last month or two since the tank was changed, so maybe it has packed up and that's the issue.
  • But turning to '3' all I get is repeated loud clicks, around twice per second. Nothing else.
  • Tried forscan and got P0172 and P0172-C - system too rich on Bank 1 (not what I'd expect if the fuel pump failed)
  • I also have a C1967 which has been there since I first got an OBD scanner and appears to suggest the low fuel light wouldn't work (but it does/did).
I'll check all the fuses in daylight, try the battery voltage too, and then proceed to see if I can spot any other bad wires or something, but I suspect the above is enough that somebody out there might be able to point me in a more specific direction.

Thanks in advance if you can.

I'm still slowly trying to improve the Millennium I inherited in the Autumn, but with very limited practical experience and tools, and limited enthusiasm to touch anything much while the weather is cold and wet. Many small things to do, but also a few things that feel like 'warning signs'. But that's for another day...
Today, it wouldn't start.
It's cold, damp and dark, so I only did a quick note on behaviour and could make more detailed notes later if needed, but hopefully this is another for some ideas -
  • dash lights up as usual, internal lights fine (maybe a touch dim, but they're always dim so not sure it's any different)
  • The dials 'sweep' on turning key (from 1 to 2, I think).
  • Oil and battery lights stay on in position 2
  • I hear the fuel pump prime (at least I think that's what it is). The pump has been whining for much of the last month or two since the tank was changed, so maybe it has packed up and that's the issue.
  • But turning to '3' all I get is repeated loud clicks, around twice per second. Nothing else.
  • Tried forscan and got P0172 and P0172-C - system too rich on Bank 1 (not what I'd expect if the fuel pump failed)
  • I also have a C1967 which has been there since I first got an OBD scanner and appears to suggest the low fuel light wouldn't work (but it does/did).
I'll check all the fuses in daylight, try the battery voltage too, and then proceed to see if I can spot any other bad wires or something, but I suspect the above is enough that somebody out there might be able to point me in a more specific direction.

Thanks in advance if you can.
It could well be the battery, but check the earth lead from the back of the engine to the bulkhead, they often break due to age. I have seen one Puma starting Ok with the lead broken, but know others won't start. Worthwhile checking all the engine bay earth's as well.
My Red Puma wouldn't start after we'd collected it, it was a dud battery.

It could well be the battery, but check the earth lead from the back of the engine to the bulkhead, they often break due to age. I have seen one Puma starting Ok with the lead broken, but know others won't start. Worthwhile checking all the engine bay earth's as well.
My Red Puma wouldn't start after we'd collected it, it was a dud battery.
Thanks John.
It's not the earth lead as I fitted one a few weeks ago (the original was just a remnant at each end when I got it).
I'm hoping it's just the battery as I've no way to lift it to do anything more challenging.
Low battery was one candidate reason for some of the other problems I've previously seemed to have fixed, so perhaps it was that all along.
Fingers crossed.

Definitely sounds like the battery.
If the car isn't be used much, the battery can loose its charge.
When I purchase my Red Puma, we drove 80 miles and stopped at a motorway service place and it cut out and wouldn't start, left it for 10 minutes. battery voltage was 12.25 volts, but it started (with the sweeping dials), it got us home another 90 miles and started the next morning, with a frost on the car, 2 days later it wouldn't start again, recharged the battery and put it on my Thunder which was used most days, but if left for 3 or 4 days and again it only just started.
With a different battery, the Red Puma has been starting fine since February.

Everyone called it correctly (and even I guessed it was most likely) - the battery was stuffed. And I'm told wasn't even really the right type for a Puma - and it didn't even fit properly!
Now starts without even a hint of hesitation with a new one fitted.
So onwards until the next problem arises :)

thanks all.

Everyone called it correctly (and even I guessed it was most likely) - the battery was stuffed. And I'm told wasn't even really the right type for a Puma - and it didn't even fit properly!
Now starts without even a hint of hesitation with a new one fitted.
So onwards until the next problem arises :)

thanks all.
Pleased you've got it sorted.
I use 075 batteries in both my Puma's. I recently purchased a diesel Kit car and that had an 063 battery, the seller said they didn't last long and he'd owned the car 30 years, needs a slight modification to the battery tray and I will be fitting a Bosch 075.

The batteries don't like,standing about not doing anything I have found. Mind you, with a battery that flat, its amazing that the doors opened! If they won't unlock electrically you can unlock the boot with the key still and crawl through, been there 😒

So glad the new battery worked!

Two things I learned when changing my battery:
1. When the battery is out, I can unlock either door manually but not open the boot at all. Maybe my boot lock is sticky, don't know, but no battery, no boot access from the outside for me.
2. Do not leave the keys in the car with the doors closed and then put the battery back in! The doors all locked themselves and I had to call a locksmith for a £75 call out to come and break into the car!

Back