Brake calipers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huw_jenks

Hi folks, my Puma's been garaged up for the winter and over easter I'm going to be looking at getting her roadworthy again.

One of the problems I was having before she was put away was the O/S caliper sticking on and boiling the brakes fluid, so it's pretty important I get that sorted out. What I'd like to know is, should I a) remove the caliper and refurb it using one of the kits off ebay, b) get a secondhand caliper and stick it straight on, c) new caliper.

I need to replace a slave cylinder on one of the drums too, and put a new bleeding valve in the other side. Maybe I should refurb the N/S caliper at the same time as I'm doing the rest of it, couldn't hurt...

Also, going to do an oil and filter change and a new set of plugs. Anything else I should be doing at the same time?

Any thoughts? :)

If you just buy a second hand one and stick it on you've no real idea whether that one's in any better condition which could lead you back to option a). A new one should of course resolve the problem but I'd not personally do this as a first step before trying to clean up the old one and free it up etc.

I think I would look at cleaning the old one first, very often a good clean and new seals is all that is needed.

As for the rear, as you are taking both drums off it is worth doing both cylinders rather than just one, and of course you then get new bleed nipples anyway

huw_jenks said:
[post]360866[/post] What I'd like to know is, should I a) remove the caliper and refurb it using one of the kits off ebay, b) get a secondhand caliper and stick it straight on, c) new caliper.

a) By all means this option! Dismantle the seized caliper and check the state of the piston inside. If it is corroded or has any marks of wear replace it. The kit I used (check my JASAPP thread) is very good and comes with grease (two types you will need) and seals and everything. It it rather straight forward and the reward will be massive improvement. I would recommend you do both of them as the renewed one will have lower friction in itself and hence will brake better than the other one what will pull you car to one side

Thanks for the replies folks, so it looks like a couple of caliper refurb kits, couple of brake slave cylinders and bottle of brake fluid.

What's the right fluid btw, Dot 4?

DOT 4 is what`s in there as standard.
I have only ever used it (DOT 4) on track (an the road) in my Pumas and it`s perfectly adequate for these cars.
I put `branded` fluid rather than the cheap stuff (It`s not that much more expensive)

Back