Brake upgrade gurus...anyone tried C Max calipers?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-whizz

I know that the regular front upgrade path is either ST150 or ST170, or Mk3 Mondeo...BUT, has anyone tried the C-Max calipers?

Having looked into them a bit it seems they come in either 278mm disc sized or 300mm... so either ST150 or ST170...and in fact as far as I can gather they are all basically the same caliper (ATE 813 & 814, for left and right, I think) but with different carriers. There might possibly be some slight variation, which is why am wondering if anyone has any experience of trying them, or know of anything that could/would prevent them being used?

The 278mm version seems really cheap on ebay, saw some for £20 a pair which a heck of lot cheaper than the ST150 version of the same thing, and the 300mm fair bit cheaper than average st170 too....if they've not got some quirk that prevents them being adopted? Anyone know, anyone tried?

Having examined the ATE site (www.ate-brakes.com whici will redirect you at one point to tec.doc http://ows-cdn.tecdoc.net/ate/home.jsp?server=1&time=12/3/2016-7:35:24#a96c6c04263d923e998ccfcd9dcfd440) it appears that brakepads are almost the same. The ony difference, at least as per drwaing is the thickness of the C-max pad which is 18.1 mm on both sides, whereas ST170 is 17.6 mm on the side NOT FACING the piston. I guess prior to the instalation you would have to wear that side for 0.5 m...?

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]348036[/post] Having examined the ATE site (http://www.ate-brakes.com whici will redirect you at one point to tec.doc http://ows-cdn.tecdoc.net/ate/home.jsp?server=1&time=12/3/2016-7:35:24#a96c6c04263d923e998ccfcd9dcfd440) it appears that brakepads are almost the same. The ony difference, at least as per drwaing is the thickness of the C-max pad which is 18.1 mm on both sides, whereas ST170 is 17.6 mm on the side NOT FACING the piston. I guess prior to the instalation you would have to wear that side for 0.5 m...?

Hi Wild...cheers for coming back on this... I might well be being a bit thick here (won't be the first, or last, time ) as this is new ground for me but would that be necessary tho', if you are using the c max caliper would you not just use the c max pads, with the relevant four stud disc, as the disc seems to be the same size for both diameter and thickness? Am I missing something...apart from Emily Ratajkowski in my life? :grin:

That may be so, but I think the caliper wouldn't bolt on puma hubs (someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the bolt spacing is not the same; 'after' Mk3 Mondeo I think they were spaced further apart).
If you take a look at ST180 and ST150 fiesta, both are using 278 mm disc, but the calipers aren't interchangeable for that very reason: the bolt spacing on hub is not the same. I think that, although both are four studs discs OD 278 they aren't the same either and can not be interchanged because of the offset that is different, I believe

Just checked; ST180 uses lucas/TRW brake system and that is why it is different. C-max is using Ate brakes system as ST150

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]348045[/post] That may be so, but I think the caliper wouldn't bolt on puma hubs (someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the bolt spacing is not the same; 'after' Mk3 Mondeo I think they were spaced further apart).
If you take a look at ST180 and ST150 fiesta, both are using 278 mm disc, but the calipers aren't interchangeable for that very reason: the bolt spacing on hub is not the same. I think that, although both are four studs discs OD 278 they aren't the same either and can not be interchanged because of the offset that is different, I believe

Just checked; ST180 uses lucas/TRW brake system and that is why it is different. C-max is using Ate brakes system as ST150
Hi Wild, am getting confused now :grin:
There's the earlier C Max (Focus C Max) which I'm very hopeful would fit given it's on the Focus (but am happy to be corrected on) then the C Max 2 which am less certain about but have my fingers crossed? As I understand it they are all ATE.
As to C-Max discs, for the earlier Focus version (the C-M2 are 5 stud so out anyway) even if the offset was slightly different (am not sure for 278m and obvs more hopeful on the 300mm due to st170) would it not be possible to just use ST150 or St170, in much the same way one uses st170 discs with the MK3 Mondeo caliper? I may be tripping over myself here so feel free to point out any mistakes in my thought process, such as it is.
One other concern that sprung to mind was the brake hoses, again am more reassured on the earlier version not so sure on later.

The Focus C-Max is based on the Mark 2 Focus so if the Mk2 Focus brakes fit then the C-Max ones will

oilburner said:
[post]348049[/post] The Focus C-Max is based on the Mark 2 Focus so if the Mk2 Focus brakes fit then the C-Max ones will
...cheers Oilburner, that clears one bit of confusion, it based on the Mk2 not mk1 Focus... so my train of thought is now for the Focus C-Max (mk1, '03-10 and based on 2nd gen Focus) though with the four stud discs.... the C-Max Mk2 (mk3 Focus platform) is now a little more open to question again.
Any other thoughts folks? Even better, anyone tried it?

I was throwing ST180 in equation merely on the line it is 4-stud disc. C-max and Mk2 focus are 5 stud so no go for them. From what I could gather looking at the ATE website, it should be possible to use the brakepads from C-max (Mk2 focus) on ST150/ST170 (brakepads are the same) setup. But, no, haven't had a chance to try it out

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]348051[/post] I was throwing ST180 in equation merely on the line it is 4-stud disc. C-max and Mk2 focus are 5 stud so no go for them. From what I could gather looking at the ATE website, it should be possible to use the brakepads from C-max (Mk2 focus) on ST150/ST170 (brakepads are the same) setup. But, no, haven't had a chance to try it out
Cheers Wild, I thought I was tripping myself up somewhere, and it was in thinking the mk1 focus c-max based on the mk1 focus (which sounds logical) but it's on the mk2 focus so it 5 stud through the range for c-max discs....which takes me back to the original idea that it might be possible using the C-max with the st150.170 discs?

I am having few looks at eBay for C-max calipers. I think they should fit. Also, did some thinking: why not getting a c-max (Mk2 focus) front discs in 278 mm (for 1.8 TDCI engine) and just redrill 3 holes to make it fit 4 stud hub?
Exact dimensions to be found here: http://www.bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail.aspx?ApplicationIDMaster=275743

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]348054[/post] I am having few looks at eBay for C-max calipers. I think they should fit. Also, did some thinking: why not getting a c-max (Mk2 focus) front discs in 278 mm (for 1.8 TDCI engine) and just redrill 3 holes to make it fit 4 stud hub?
Exact dimensions to be found here: http://www.bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail.aspx?ApplicationIDMaster=275743
Hi Wild, yeah cross-referencing via ebay and infopart.org was what made me think it might be possible, just needed someone with a bit more technical expertise to confirm it, like you :grin: I think I'd probably just get either the st150 or st170 discs as not got the means to drill, but someone else might....and it seems we might have a new source that's cheaper than the ST150 and ST170 calipers for either upgrade! :grin:

Latest posts

Back