Brand new 1.7 bedding in procedure advice plz before 2moro

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally frp

I Have just finished building a new 1700 Puma engine in My bro's project Puma. It has a brand new Bottom end(pistons,rods and crankshaft) and a raceline cylinder head. I have started the car tonight but only had a few minutes before I had to leave and it fired up first time and no leaks etc(touch wood). I dropped the oil and sieved with a filter catching upto 165microns which is normally used to strain car paint before using in a spray gun.

I am familiar with the 1700 engine and thought it sounded tappety from the top end possibly from the vct side(inlet). Is this because the engine is brand new and takes time to wear itself in?

What is the best running in procedure for a new 1700 as I understand that they were 'run in' at factory? I have heard that some people advised high rpm for 20mins 2500 - 4000 to help seat the piston rings to the wall with load i.e on the road or the softer approach 1200 - 1500 rpm for 30mins,

Any suggestions are queries are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ally

im not sure on a specific running in procedure for the 1.7, but i cant immagine its much different to many others. Im not sure if youve already done it, but if you havent, the high RPMs are to run new cams in, if they are not new cams, you dont need to do that. For bottom end, revving with no load isnt ideal, for the first 20 or so miles, id run in at very light throttle, and try to keep it below 2500rpm. Then up to around 200 miles, keep it below 3000rpm, but after 100 miles, a few bursts of power are good for it. Try not to keep constant loads on the engine, like motorway driving, try and move up and down the rev range and use engine braking when ever you can. Modern engines dont need any special oil to break in, and you dont need to do thousands of miles any more either. I did 500, i think that was more then i needed. Quick sharp blasts are good for it, but long hard pulls are not, try not to create too high temps over prolonged periods.

After i hit 200 miles, i did mainly loads of short sharp bursts, & kept an eye on the egt gauge for exhaust gas temp, and that worked well for me. I found loads of contradicting stories so i just did what i thought was best. Some say thrash the life out of it as soon as its built, but after all my hard work and effort, i just couldnt bring myself to do that, and it didnt seem the sensible thing to do!

Back