Buying an FRP??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinblueprint

Evening,

Maybe I'm going mad, but I'm very tempted by the FRPs on Pistonheads right now. They have quite high mileage though, at 65 and 82k, but are both the same price at 6,300.
I almost bought one before but kinda chickened out — but I'm kinda bored with my usual standard Puma and want something more interesting.

Looking at these two on the front page of Pumas:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2017001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1986889.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are they like to live with? Are they noticeably faster, and what's the fuel like?
I'm also worried that it'll go wrong and cost me loads at some point...although my Puma is Cat D and is still very reliable with 85k. Are these good buys?

Martin x

to live with.... firm & noisy!

spares may be difficult to obtain

Great fun to drive round the corners, but certainly not that quick in the straight....

I'm with Ross on this one - they require commitment. It's not something to enter into lightly.

IMO they are totally unsuitable to use as a daily driver - it was too noisy, harsh and bloody irritating. That said, once you get one on a good twisty road it's great fun. They aren't fast, but they have a great appetite for corners.

They both look nice but you'd have to look at them both to gauge which is the better one to go for.

My brother and I live with our everyday and still love them. They aren't massively faster in a straight line, they feel more planted in the corners though with the wider track, stiffer suspension and better more supportive seats.

I live with mine everyday, has 96k on the clock and I have no problems whatso ever :D

Yeah its frim, but personally I do find the seats help with cushioning as it were abit, as already said they arent fast in a straight line although I do notice the difference going straight from Standrd to FRP its marginally quicker, but in corners it's just in a different league tbh mate... it is awesome!

Just have to remember the commitment s and maintenance that comes with it :)

Think of it as beautifull Italian Girlfriend, Classy, sexy, curves in the right place- But her dads a Mafia boss and expects yearly protection money else he will string you up by you privates.

I can say with some degree of certantity- that once i have got passed the next year or so- There will be a SuperBee FRP outside myhouse to keep Bee company*

(*FYI I know some of you know were is stand cash wise currently/ going forward and my wonder why this is however see my post in what has made my day today (04/09/2010) and all will be come crystal clear)

On your links you posted i went to go look at 273 on Sunday which is still for sale. It's not been looked after and needs a lot of work.

Lots of things have been modified and there is to many faults to list. She said i could have it for £5500 but after viewing 190 on sunday evening which is mint, you can see the difference.

view it like a classic car.....it WILL need attention and not of the cheap kind!

if your hands on you can run one for less than joe bloggs who takes a std puma to a garage....

be wary of the alcon brakes; they DO NEED regular tlc / cleaning or you (or the person after you) will have a hefty bill and dont crash it! spares are no longer available from ford and give it 6 months wont be anywhere else.

try and find a good mechanic who is willing to put the time in...altho even saying that iv had phonecalls from mechanics (they talk to each other and i keep being recommended as the man in the know!!!!) and then they have told the customers to come to me!!! FRPs are fiddly to fix! (and no, sorry, i dont have time to fix other peoples cars!)

read up on some of the guides....i highly recommend a car with hispec brake discs as replacements are £60 each, not £220!

i will personally guarantee that 90% o the cars for sale need new pads and discs!!!! theyv been thrashed all summer and the owner got a quote for over £600 or just told 'cant get the parts mate!' brakes can be done for less than £200 if you read my guide.

Just out of interest - you mention the Alcon brakes, but what other FRP specific parts are likely to need maintenance? Are the wishbones/bushes/roll bars etc different?

It always makes me wonder also what the bodywork is like under those wide arches, I don't know how the detail works with how these were fitted & how much of the original car remains?... but I'd hate to think that the car is rusting away from the inside out & I couldn't see it :|

The front wings are are completely replaced. The rear wings are bonded over the entire standard panel.

The wishbones are different and one bush was uprated for the FRP but the others are a standard Puma part.

Obviously the rear brakes are different too but they aren't expensive to maintain really.

Back