Cam Cover Conundrum

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSparta

Greetings again!

Finally decided to take off the plastic engine/cam cover and it appears whoever had at it last had hams instead of hands and has rounded 3 of the bolts that hold it down

Does anyone have any tips on getting these buggers off? Am I going to need to drill them out?

Cheers!

You'll probably have to drill them out or tap in something like a larger torque or hex. Worse comes to worse the plastic covers arent that expensive if you bugger it up :thumbs:

Couple of options:

Get a star/torques bit and gently tap in to the hole and hopefully it wont be too tight to undo

I've had this problem with my current (second) and first Puma.
On the first one, I cut two flat edges off each bolt head and undid them with an adjustable spanner
The second one I cut a slot in the top and undid them with a flat screwdriver.
On both occasions, I used a Dremmel multi tool with a grinding wheel in it.

I think there have been other options, so I'll leave them to someone else!

Ok cool, thanks for the tips. May try the cut it and use a flathead trick tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement bolts?

iirc there are two different lengths of bolts I think this is one option for the longer of the two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250721989823?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_996wt_932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back