Cone Filters Compared.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

I'm not personally a big fan of these, but it's always good to see at least some sort of methodology being used to test things, rather than the usual 'guess/subjective/name you've heard of' way of going about things -

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/05/04/performance-car-air-filter-test/

Btw that is a pretty good site generally, so perhaps also check out some of their other guides/reviews, etc. :)

But Tickford didn't fit a cone filter to the FRP - they went to all the trouble of modifying the existing panel filter airbox.

I think it was Mighty Car Mods on youtube put a car on a dyno and compared cone filters with standard filters and there was no difference in performance.

Hi
Some time ago I did research this. The conclusion was that in most cases fitting a cone filter made no gains and in a few cases lost power. Just a con to spend your cash, money would be better spent on overhauling standard systems to improve efficiency and reliability thus restoring original power output.

On Topgear some time back the three presenters had a budget to buy a vehicle and an additional budget to get it to go faster round the track. All sorts of mods. were tried. But the mod that produced the fastest time was to spend the money restoring original factory power outputs by replacing standard parts that had lost efficiency.

Regards,
Richard.

Was that the Renault thing that was supposed to have over 200bhp but was down to about 170, even though it was only about 5 years old.

From my little knowledge of coe filter "tuning" can only say this...Some years ago was at a Dyno shootout,an all Lotus thing.Was a couple of Toyota engined Elise's there.One had standard filter one some very blue cone thing.both went on the hub Dyno and the standard setup had more bhp across range,very little think it was 2 - 3 bhp.So being a bunch of anoracks they swapped the systems over to make it fair.Would you believe! The car that was down a couple of horses was back up to normal and the other was then down,but the cone did sound better(noisier)

Catweasel said:
[post]347897[/post] a cone filter
lusid666 said:
[post]347929[/post] compared cone filters with standard filters
RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]347947[/post] fitting a cone filter
gingerdave said:
[post]347993[/post] One had standard filter one some very blue cone thing

This thread is not actually about what you think it's about or, indeed, maybe what you'd like it to be about.

This thread is not about the age old 'standard v cone' stuff, but about comparing the different filters themselves. It's pretty obvious that they are popular and, like drink, drugs and loose women, people are going to use them whether you approve or not, so people might as well at least be well informed about their choices. That is what this thread is about.

Point is, if we had some guy turn up here posting 'Yeah, yeah, mate of mine fitted some fancy uprated coilovers and exhaust system to his motor and it handled like a pig and drove like a snail from then onwards. Waste of money!' - what would your first questions be?

It would seem, as with most things, that not all cone filters are the same either and until someone actually gets around to dyno testing the 'best' cone filter with a standard air box then the jury is still out and you'll only know what is the best by comparing them.

Not that it makes any difference, but my personal view on these is in the opening post.

i never even read the article in the first place :lol: Just got wrapped up in the discussion.

I was surprised about the K&N but it shows size really does matter. Either way I really liked the look of the Jetex one so may have to part with some cash before too long :roll:

Surely if there was any benefit by fitting one the manufacturer would sell them with a graph showing before and after Dyno figures(don't know if they do) for various cars without any remap or other mods.

gingerdave said:
[post]348009[/post] Surely if there was any benefit by fitting one the manufacturer would sell them with a graph showing before and after Dyno figures(don't know if they do) for various cars without any remap or other mods.

My point exactly. £172.95, specifically mentioning performance, and yet instead of actual decibel figures you just get -

Looks and sounds great with deeper, louder than standard

Try to get performance dyno figures and you get this -

Designed to increase engine performance by being less restrictive than the standard

Can you believe that people would part with so much money based on so little information and yet people just illogically accept it without a word. I bet cone world is just as bad. ;)

Latest posts

Back