Disapointing.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

Okay, Chris has had my second frp for a n/a build, just come back from the dyno with just 185 bhp, what a load of crap...I have spent a small fortune and only 185 bhp...I can get that from a bit of nitrous injection....not very happy at all...

I'm no expert but isn't that about a 50% increase in bhp? isn't that quite a lot?

Also its only one isolated improvement of the outcome of your rebuild surely there are other improvements i.e. its acceleration, torque, etc?

Isn't it an inappropriate comparison to compare your bhp increase to nitrous which is only usefull for short bursts and short durations iirc.

Sorry your not pleased with what you bought but as Corley said what was promised?

108bhp specific output isn't shy.

Depends where the power is, what the curves look like etc. etc. Headline figure isn't the whole story.

Have you driven it?

I must agree whitmthe others hp isn't everythimg, it's how it's deliverd, and the torque that wil determim if it's fast or not.. 185 from a 1.7 whitout a turbo is stil verry good. Considering the age of the engien.

Ofcourse, if you were promised 250 or somethimg, i can understand Your frustration :) everything is relative :)

What is the purpose of this post? Surely complain to the person carrying out the work? All I see in your posts is Chris will do this, Chris is doing that etc.

I think Chris works at LMS so I'm sure the work has been done to a good standard for an NA build?

Im sure 180 also feels much different to the standard power.

Hi guys, yes all good advice and going for a run in her is exactly what I will do...but now I am used to 320 bhp, 185 isnt going to feel good I am sure and what I have learned with the turbo puma is that A wider POWER BAND makes them much more driveable...the aim with this car was plus 220, (and a dollop of nitrous for those special moments) so 185bhp is well down. We wanted a car with good driveability so Chris the builder, played with the inlets and valve lift to try to give it a wider power band but it didn't work. We will have to go for bigger lift on the cams and a bit more revs likely..but that will take the power further up the rev range and likely reduce the power band..185 bhp in a n/a 1.7 litre engine is nothing other than normal these days.

However what I do know is that the Turbo FRP is great with 260 bhp, reving hard from 3000 rpm, and absolutely flies, and handles perfectly well with it....at 320 I feel it is a bit too much for regular driving, I only use it for 3-5 gear dashes on the motorway/straight roads ....if you floor her with 320 in the lower gears the bang when you drop the clutch is well scary, and the wheels loose traction with the current old tyres, not yet replaced even in the dry...however she will still bog down in higher gears below 3k, (relatively) she is still better than standard but once your used to power its hard to go away from it.....

Ryan, great to hear you got 230, that was where I would really have liked to have been...was hoping with all the expense we would have reached that...as I SAID WELL DISSAPOINTED...THE TURBO IS SO DAMN GOOD THAT THIS WAS A SHOCK...money cant buy everything it seems...

Ryan, take note.. Turbo better than NA.

Sorry to hear Paul, I can only imagine what you put into this so I can understand 185 being a disappointment.

What about a little supercharger next?

Paul unfortunately with an engine with just 1679cc to get power you have to get them to peak at high rpm there is no other way to do it without adding boost

yes this may be the next step....will chat with chris and see....the turbo car is just superb, still not happy with the suspension, its too soft at 400lb, think this car needs something like 500lb per spring not 400...

going to build the final engine as a MILD 250 bhp turbo car, that is plenty enough...and then play with this turbo to get it to around 400plus, bigger injectors...that would be manic...

the n/a one well i just don't know perhaps just bolt on nitrous again and use that when needed...or remove all the throttle bodies and go back to a turbo set-up...will see how she is when i drive her...

complete forged set up steel rods etc etc...

the manifold was damaged because of me trying to set up the GAZ coilovers...chris is now remounting and ceramic coating the fixed manifold then she will be back out again...but this time with a bit of flex in the exhaust to allow for it getting hit from a sleeping policeman...

will likely go back to std coils until i have tried these coilovers on the n/a engine...thats in rapid build and hoping it should be ready within a few days...

Back