Driveshaft - differences...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

After being pretty certain my car vibrations are drive-shaft related am going to try a switch to a 2nd hand drive-shaft as the final process of elimination.

I know the cars production run wasn't very long so there probably isn't a difference.. but thought I would check.

Likely to be any difference between drive-shaft from an R-plated donor car, and a later reg, say an X.

i had a similiar problem with my car, the previous owner had a bump and did not think to change the shaft, it was only slightly bent not really noticeable but it caused the car to vibrate like hell around the 60mph range

Yeah - thinking logically, and with only a little mechanical knowledge, my issue has to be the drive-shaft itself or a part thereof...

I have established (through checking parts sites) that there isn't any difference between the various years of production, in terms of drive-shaft, so am planning on picking up a spare from a low mileage breaker this afternoon.

Then just have to hope it solves, or at the least diminishes, the vibration.

yippeekiay said:
You getting it fitted soon? as I'm interested in the result ;)

Dropping it round to my mechanic friend (he only lives about 500 yards away) this evening, then I will be visiting with my mum/family for about 5 days. I will be in touch with him over the course of the work - but won't be back to the car myself til the weekend.

The 2nd hand/replacement d/s looks in lovely condition - even the boots etc...

yippeekiay said:
You getting it fitted soon? as I'm interested in the result ;)

Okay then...... I am not back to my car yet, but the mechanic phoned, said he has changed the drive-shaft round, refilled gearbox oil and taken it for a test drive and cannot notice any judder/vibration.

So - touch wood - all will be well when I pick up the Puma tomorrow.

yippeekiay said:
Great news. Did he have a look at your old one as spot any problems or hasn't he bothered. Would be interesting to know the exact cause.

Glad you have it sorted so it seems anyway ;)

Alas Yip the mechanic is mystified.... however he didn't seem totally convinced with my basic logic/laws of physics reasoning that made me decide on the drive-shaft (of part thereof) being the problem.

The old shaft, in situ, looked fine... nothing looked out of place. The original one out, 2nd hand replacement in, gearbox oil checked and topped up and 'hey presto' problem solved. There doesn't seem to be any kink, dink, dent, scrape (etc) on the original and a cursory inspection of the boots/joints didn't shed any light either.

All I know is that there is now no vibration, judder, shake and I can get back to driving like a loon without having to worry about some critical component coming adrift.

I am not going to reuse, or sell the d/shaft that was removed... so in due course I may investigate and take it apart just to see if there is anything that strikes me as 'f**ked' (to use the technical term).

mmm...as long as it works then all's good. I think I'll have to make that my move to cure my problem. Knowing my luck though I'll buy one that's bloody worse....lol.

I'm guessing if the CV joint is anything like a wheel bearing (I know, not the same but a thought) then you can't tell that a wheel bearing has gone simply by looking as slight wear to just one of the roller bearings or slight imperfection to the tapered outer can cause a hell of a hum but you wouldn't see any defect unless you measured it with some very precise guages.

expatscot said:
I have established (through checking parts sites) that there isn't any difference between the various years of production, in terms of drive-shaft, so am planning on picking up a spare from a low mileage breaker this afternoon.

Am glad there's no difference, gonna get a used one myself and see if it works for me. Not sure whether to buy the pair off the same car and replace both of mine just for continuity if you get my drift.

The ones they are on is an older car but has done less mileage, not a guarantee that they'll be better but will hopefully cure my problem then I may just stump up for 2 brand new ones.

Out of interest, how much were you charged for changing yours Expat???....and was the charge mate rates or normal?. Just want an idea so I can decide whether to do them myself or just cough up for it to be done if it's reasonable as it may be dead money if the problem isn't cured.

I have seen various prices on the web, Ebay etc.. some as low as £12-15 and up to £40. However I have a very good breakers yard near me that I have used before and I like to use them and its easy to take it back, replace or refund if there is some problem. They had two nearside shafts - one on the shelf, one still on the donor car - for £32.

The mechanic guy no longer works fully/officially in the car repair business - but does some cars out of his 'lock-up' - and he charged me £40 for labour (all in), which must have included the gearbox oil he replaced.

All in all, a damn good result! :eek:k:

Just won a pair of driveshafts for the Puma 1 minute ago.

Luckily saw what the other bidder on both auctions had bid on the one I wanted so once I won the passenger side I immediately put the same bid in on the drivers side just so I had the pair. Got them for £22.50 each so not too bad, more than I was expecting but I won't grumble especially if they're ok and fix my vibration....lol.

Back