Estimate on Ford Puma Sale

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekz

Hi, I would appreciate an estimate on how much I should put my Puma up for sale for.

It's a 2000 reg, black 1.7 with FSH Kenwood radio/cd player, electric windows, and the normal gubbings of a standard Puma.

It's done 78k miles.

Now the good parts:

It's got a new clutch, and back forks and bushes and 3 new tyres, and rocker cover gasket was replaced as well because of a small oil leak, all done end of summer 2011.
It's a good engine, never fails, sounds good, and solid all round.

Now the bad parts:

The body work has been keyed on most panels, so to get it looking good again would pretty much require a complete respray. Could use a paint pen to make it look okayish I suppose if you're not a perfectionist.

The suspension needs work: the shock absorbers, coils, top mounts will all need replacing. The steering will most likely need to be looked at after this is done as it pulls to one side over bumps, but I'm pretty sure this is being caused by the suspension needing replacing.

Needs a new clock spring or indicator stalk as there is a grinding sound and sometimes doesn't auto self cancel when indicating left.

Door trims need new plugs as they are loose and rattle on bumpy roads.

Need's a new backbox as the baffle is coming out. 30/50 quid repair/replace.

There is a ciggerette burn on the drivers seat which I have attempted to repair with a upholstery repair kit, doesn't look great but could be professionally repaired for 30 odd quid.

Car seats have had a few mcdonalds cola's spilt over them by my ex and thus would need a clean to get nice.

The drivers side window clunks when fully wound down and although not a problem as such, will need some tinkering to find out why it's doing that

The previous owner must of had a bump with something as the front bumper isn't flush with the side panels, but near enough, it's hard to notice until close inspection.

Missing a mud guard.

Has the dreaded arches rust on both rear sides which I have used anti rust on, primed, then painted but obviously will return. Wasn't that bad.

All in all, the worst parts are the suspension and scratching damage, the rest are just foibles that could be fixed up and repaired by anyone with an interest.

The good thing about the car is that it's never let me down even with all the problems, starts first time every time, drives solid, engine loves to be used.

How much do you think I should put this up for? Or shall I just scrap it? I was told by the mechanic who did my clutch that I could sell the engine for £600 but then I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of the car, I found it hard to believe him as I've seen fully working whole Puma's go for 650, albeit high mileage.

What do you guys think?

I'd say considering the cosmetic issues, you'll be lucky to get £600 for the entire car.

What do you think I should do with it?

It would be kind of hard selling a car with obvious suspension issues in the first place, test drive would seem awful.

I'd sell it for parts or repair and expect around £300 to £400
Try and take the kenwood out and sell that seperately to get a bit more back
Failing that, it looks like its going to the big garage in the sky
Best of luck whatever you choose to do
Damo

I think I'd sell it for 4 hundred to be honest. Don't really have the space or tools to take it apart though :/

put it on ebay with a starting bid of around £300 and keep your fingers crossed. got mine for £320 with a duff battery and very shot rear bushes (you could move the drivers side wheel backwards and forward about 6 inches lol). didnt mind paying the money though as i knew exactly what i was getting and was looking at paying around £500 to £600 for a car anyway.

you wouldnt get anywhere near 600 quid for the engine, maybe a 3rd of that

It's just a shame really as if it was fixed it would drive so nicely. I'm tempted to keep it and just fix it, totally illogical I know but it's my first car and I'm somewhat attached to it :p
I think I'll continue to drive it and think about it, I guess necessity and finance will make my decision for me at some point.

Why do you want to sell it... and how much would you pay for a new car?

Well because although it's still running and I can drive it, it needs to be fixed, the suspension issues are making it unsafe to drive quite frankly and it's not fun. The problem is the money to fix it will cost more than a new one and I don't have the money at the moment. And also I think something will make it undrivable soon, it just feels like it's getting progressively worse and something will crack and/or fall off.
If I was to save up i'd be looking at a car around £800 to a grand, I reckon my Puma will cost minimum 500 to fix. Probably more like 600/700 with decent parts.

I got my Puma about 10 months ago and I spent roughly a grand on it shortly after fixing it up, it was supposed to be an investment but it's just gone from bad to worse since then. Basically I got ripped off/unlucky in the lottery of 2nd hand car buying, perhaps unlucky, or perhaps being my first car just lack of experience.

The insurance at 180/month is kind of eating away any money I could of been putting towards the car at the moment and in 2 months that will likely go down at least 30% due to a few insurance factors like 1 years no claim (touch wood) and having my license for 2 years so with a bit of luck it will stay functional until then, hopefully have a new job soon with a better salary which would open up some more options :/

And yeah, my 2nd car will be a Puma again, already decided on that.

Why don't you just get the suspension fixed. The chances any given Puma you may buy instead will need a new clutch, rocker cover gasket, bushes etc. Better the devil you know I reckon.

tekz said:
The suspension needs work: the shock absorbers, coils, top mounts will all need replacing. The steering will most likely need to be looked at after this is done as it pulls to one side over bumps, but I'm pretty sure this is being caused by the suspension needing replacing.
Whereabouts are you? If you can get to Steavie I'm sure he'd be able to get you straight without giving your wallet a hiding.

tekz said:
Need's a new backbox as the baffle is coming out. 30/50 quid repair/replace.
Not the end of the world is it?

tekz said:
The body work has been keyed on most panels, so to get it looking good again would pretty much require a complete respray. Could use a paint pen to make it look okayish I suppose if you're not a perfectionist.
Has the keying gone through the paint down to metal? If not, you can probably machine polish it out to a degree in the short term.

tekz said:
Needs a new clock spring or indicator stalk as there is a grinding sound and sometimes doesn't auto self cancel when indicating left.
Ian G can probably help you out with one of those on the cheap.

tekz said:
Door trims need new plugs as they are loose and rattle on bumpy roads.
Rattly trim is a "feature" - the next Puma you buy will also have or develop this at some point guaranteed.

tekz said:
Has the dreaded arches rust on both rear sides which I have used anti rust on, primed, then painted but obviously will return. Wasn't that bad.
Again, a standard issue Puma feature.

tekz said:
There is a ciggerette burn on the drivers seat which I have attempted to repair with a upholstery repair kit, doesn't look great but could be professionally repaired for 30 odd quid. Car seats have had a few mcdonalds cola's spilt over them by my ex and thus would need a clean to get nice.
Sounds like an excuse to replace the interior with something more exotic like the leathers out of a Millie or Thunder or Black edition.

tekz said:
The drivers side window clunks when fully wound down and although not a problem as such, will need some tinkering to find out why it's doing that
There's a guide on here or a link to a document with how to adjust the window mechanism.

tekz said:
The previous owner must of had a bump with something as the front bumper isn't flush with the side panels, but near enough, it's hard to notice until close inspection.
tekz said:
Missing a mud guard.
Both of these can be sorted out at some point.

tekz said:
The good thing about the car is that it's never let me down even with all the problems, starts first time every time, drives solid, engine loves to be used.
The only thing that really needs sorting out is your suspension and the exhaust. If it gets you from A to B then it's fulfilling its primary purpose in my opinion.

Good amount of optimism in these last two posts which I think is what I need, will give them a proper read and some thought tomorrow, just did a 14 hour shift, need sleep!

Cheers lads

keep the puma, tbh you will get £300-£400 for it at the tops. and thats not a lot of money..

for the sake of a few pounds you can get here back to the former glorry, they lovely cars and my partner was only saying yesterday to me although we got newer cars but my god i got a 1997 R puma and we both think it still fits in with all these 57 plate and 61 plate cars,

you drive around on a sunny day and people tend to look, a puma looks sleek and sexy as it comes, cars have lost that by all becoming tiny and a shape of a shoe box.
my puma got its faults i bought it for £300 for me and my partner to just have as a back up car if ever needed (and now my bmw 316 compact *54 reg*) is just in the garage an i can not get out of my puma lol

mine got

engine managment light on
fuel light on - thats a puma 1.7 for you :)
rust on arches
dent in door - oooppsss the misses clipped it
door lock mech not working
pas pump near end of it life
and more

keep it, go on you know u want to :-D

You've all convinced me, I'm going to keep her and take care of her as much as poss, I really do enjoy my Puma, driven lots of other cars and nothings been as fun and to be honest they're just great, underated, cool cars.

Your also right about the risk of buying yet another Puma, at least I know what's wrong with this one.

The keying hasn't gone through the primer, I can just give it a touch up, get the suspension fixed, and go from there really.

Cheers guys for the positive outlook, basically not worth selling it in any way as it's worth to me way more than it's commercially worth if you know what I mean.

Tekz
have a look at the pics earlier in my thread and if you still want it pm me and we will sort you out mate :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back