Fiesta ST 2018

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van_Dammesque

A review here.

Like most ST 2018 reviews I have seen they seem to ignore the most obvious. They say it has 3 cylinders and can run on two. Better handling than before...

BUT CMON IT IS UGLY AS ****, this and the new Focus, Ford has dropped the ball here!
The back end is appalling, the daytime lights are ugly and the rear diffuser looks like a plastic amateur model after-thought, made out of balser wood, then sprayed and then glued on!
The colours!? The mainstream Fiesta has very "pastel" colours that are more suited to the elderly, this Fiesta comes in a red and a boring blue. The type of blue your granny had her biscuit tin painted in.

Meh to the alloys too!

What are your thoughts?

I'm sure it's a grower. There's nothing mould breaking about it in my opinion.

To be fair, once you've thrown in car-occupancy and passenger protection, wind-tunnel testing, space for engine components, et al, you are left with an ever-shrinking design matrix - hence a lot of new cars looking the same. I was born in 1966 (yeah, yeah, stop laughing :lol: ) so growing up as a young petrolhead in the 1970s I could name probably 95% of cars on the road within a few seconds - even the dull and dreary ones. These days they really all look the same, hence the numerous cars with additional plastic 'chrome' tat to make them seem more than they are.

If you've got the time, have a look at this video from 1983 and see the myriad designs available for comparison... and if you are a smilar age to me, see how many you can spot and name!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcb12XVzJZg[/youtube]

MikeT66 said:
[post]369128[/post] To be fair, once you've thrown in car-occupancy and passenger protection, wind-tunnel testing, space for engine components, et al, you are left with an ever-shrinking design matrix - hence a lot of new cars looking the same. I was born in 1966 (yeah, yeah, stop laughing :lol: ) so growing up as a young petrolhead in the 1970s I could name probably 95% of cars on the road within a few seconds - even the dull and dreary ones. These days they really all look the same, hence the numerous cars with additional plastic 'chrome' tat to make them seem more than they are.

If you've got the time, have a look at this video from 1983 and see the myriad designs available for comparison... and if you are a smilar age to me, see how many you can spot and name!

Heh, the dashcam in that car would have taken up the whole passenger seat! :grin:

Only watched the first 3 minutes but what struck me was almost zero Mercs, BMW's & Audi.
Was this due to the area, totally random & plenty are in later, or the British people of the time being more patriotic (still remembering the war) & buying British only for the most part, despite most of it being garbage.

But wow, so many old cars I remember and all instantly recognisable by design, unlike todays cars.

evilrob said:
[post]369083[/post]
red said:
[post]369082[/post] I'm sure it's a grower.
That's what she said.

I bet what she really thought was "I hope it's a grower..." :lol:

yippeekiay said:
[post]369158[/post] Only watched the first 3 minutes but what struck me was almost zero Mercs, BMW's & Audi.
Was this due to the area, totally random & plenty are in later, or the British people of the time being more patriotic (still remembering the war) & buying British only for the most part, despite most of it being garbage.

But wow, so many old cars I remember and all instantly recognisable by design, unlike todays cars.

Back in the 1980s (as per the video), the Mercs and BMWs were genuinely premium brands (even Opel had a better image than Vauxhall) - and thus out of reach of most of the car-driving blue collar workers, so at least the likes of Ford/Vauxhall/British Leyland, etc had a market place. How things change.

Without going into the "back when I were a lad" territory, when you began driving you started in something old, passed down through the ages and pretty, well, crap. And a death-trap, too, in all honesty. :lol: These days, at our 'premium-brand' German dealership we have young kids coming in to get their first car on PCP/lease deal. No-one seems interested in getting into a seven year old Fiesta/Corsa/Polo anymore - they immediately want something to stick on social media and give some impession of having 'arrived'... IMHO, of course. When you can get a Merc/BMW on a lease deal as cheap as a Mondeo/Focus, then the brands without the same image will always suffer.

However, I don't really see the German stuff as being that much of a step up anymore - diluted by the sheer number of cars. Hell, as a kid I'd get excited about seeing a Porsche 911 - they are now pretty humdrum vehicles.

The previous gen ST took a long while to grow on me, especially the grille. Fortunately it did (indeed, I now own one), but this new version does nothing for me. The design seems to have lost all the character of the previous gen - the lights are now featureless and blobby, as is the back. The wheel design is just nasty too.

That said, the engine is intruiging, and I'd love a go in one to see how they've improved the ride. I had a quick spin in my Mum's 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta a few weeks ago and was totally sold on three cylinders.

I owned the last gen Fiesta ST180 and it was a great car. I love the front of the new Fiesta's. The back looks too large imo though. Reminiscent of an estate car.

Ed

Sat in one at Goodwood Festival of Speed today - the seats are comfy!

But that signature blue that is called "Performance Blue" is horrid. Bring back the old Performance blue at least or even Imperial - that's a proper Ford blue.

Latest posts

Back