Finding 15" wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebbly

Hi All,
I need to get some new wheels as a couple of the current ones are slightly buckled. I have read the posting at http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=4022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which was very useful. However Cherie suggests for 15" wheels the standard is 4x108 and et34. I'm finding it rather hard to find multispokes that match both of those criteria. A lot of the 4x108 wheels are et38 or higher. Is this a problem when it comes to rubbing on the wheel arches?
thanks

Further to this, I was interested in http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/calibre/rapide/silver/15-inch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so sent them a query asking what size they would sell for a puma and they said it would be et38 so they seemed to think it would fit perhaps et38 would be ok? Anyone got any advice?

If you're staying with 15" x 6" standard sized alloys then ET38 shouldn't be a problem. it starts to be a problem more when you have 17" alloys that are 7" wide.

its only a difference of 4mm so I would have thought it would be fine. If you wanted to keep the offset the same as standard you could always fit 4mm spacers behind the wheels.

Great, thanks for the reassurances. I'm off to buy some new wheels. Bit daft that a set of 4 aftermarket wheels is cheaper than 2 standard puma wheels.

The higher offset means the wheel is further under the arch, so you have 8mm narrower track with ET38.

You could rectify that with spacers although that's a faff with the stud setup on the Puma as ideally you would lengthen those in sympathy with the spacer.

If you've not bought them yet I have round wheels, all mine get rolled and checked and I scrap the wobbly ones. Which is a lot of them. They're not the hardiest of rims. Aftermarket ones may fair better but that's not guaranteed. That pic of mine bouncing off kerbs is on Compomotives, heavy wheel but you can go offroading on a track at full tilt and you'd never know to look at them. Or I've seen Fox, Ripspeed etc. worse than OE. Minefield.

can vouch for fox fx004's have non existent suspension on my car and many potholes later and still true.

Thanks for the help all.

Ian I didnt quite follow your posting sorry :

"I have round wheels...They're not the hardiest of rims."
Do you mean you have some puma wheels for sale but puma wheels arent as strong as some makes?

"That pic of mine bouncing off kerbs is on Compomotives, heavy wheel but you can go offroading on a track at full tilt and you'd never know to look at them."
You sound like an advocate of Compomotives. They seem a lot more expensive than a lot of wheels I had been looking at with most alloys being around £300-£400 for a set of 4. Whereas the Compomotives are about £140 each Is that sort of money necessary for decent quality wheels or are Compomotives a bit overkill for my standard road going puma?

"Or I've seen Fox, Ripspeed etc. worse than OE. Minefield."
So you feel Fox and Ripspeed are lower quality and OE and Minefield are better quality?

slayllian, is the wheel in your signature photo the Fox fx004 you mention? Thats the kind of look I was after but in silver rather than black.

Yes Compomotives are good wheels but unless you want to make it look like a racing car, its a bit overkill I suppose.

I have round Puma wheels. They're not as strong, which is why I scrap a lot of them. But the good ones are kept and sold.

Ian G said:
They seem a lot more expensive than a lot of wheels I had been looking at with most alloys being around £300-£400 for a set of 4. Whereas the Compomotives are about £140 each Is that sort of money necessary for decent quality wheels or are Compomotives a bit overkill for my standard road going puma?

That's why Compomotive went bust. TD and Rota are a lot cheaper and lighter.

But are TD and Rota as durable? I hadnt realised what a range there was purely with regard to durability of the wheel. I would like to try and get something that is less likely to take damage from the local potholes.

Incidentally I sent a query to compomotive asking about wheels for a ford puma and the only one they suggested would fit was the MO1563 (6x15 MO5 rim at et 35 spec in Ford fitting)

Would 15"x6.5" fit on a standard puma? There are very few 15"x6" wheels. I was hoping to get wheels looking something like
http://www.alloywheels.com/6.5x15_Inch_Team_Dynamics_Jet_Black_Alloy_Wheels_Only" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone get any tips on good or bad wheels or manufacturers?

Gebbly said:
But are TD and Rota as durable? I hadnt realised what a range there was purely with regard to durability of the wheel. I would like to try and get something that is less likely to take damage from the local potholes.

Incidentally I sent a query to compomotive asking about wheels for a ford puma and the only one they suggested would fit was the MO1563 (6x15 MO5 rim at et 35 spec in Ford fitting)

Value for money yes durable no. The 1.2's I had where bearly painted in patches but they are very light. What about speedline?

Thanks for all the useful info so far everyone.

Whilst trying to find any opinions or reviewsabout various alloy makers (Strangely no-one seems to review alloys anywhere in the net) I came across http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_guide/tp/The-Top-5-Toughest-Aftermarket-Wheels.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which lists 5 brands that are liked
Ronal
konig
Enkei
American Racing
BBS

and 3 to avoid
Mille Miglia
Sport Edition
Maya

I realise they were probably speaking from a US perspective but has anyone got any experience of the top 5 they list?

Quite liking the look of the Ronal R54 (15"x6.5") http://www.ronalwheels.co.uk/?page_id=57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But looks like they come in either et25 or et42.

Since the originals were et34, 2 questions. Would these fir and if so should I go for 25 or 42. I understand from advice above that it is only a difference of 9mm one way or 8mm the other but when faced with this sort of choice is it better to go one direction or the other?

Given that they are width 6.5" instead of 6" would it be more sensible to go et42 as et25 would move them even closer to the inside of the arch.

Or would it be better to not get them as et25 and et42 are too far from the et34 standard?
(blimey this wheel buying is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be)

Struck out with the R54s. Spoke to Ronal and the only wheels that they certify for puma are LZ and R42.

Now those puma black F1 wheels, if its true they were made by ronal would be perfect. Anyone know how I can confirm they were from Ronal? and then of course where I can get them from?

(other than ebay as it is too easy to stumble across knock-offs)

Back