Finding 15" wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be wrong, but its written on the back if they are.

Just dispatched a set today, should have checked for you, sorry!

Ian, if you come across any others I'd be greatful if you could check. So you sell puma F1 wheels? What about the thunder multispokes? What prices? The multispokes on the thunder also look good, anyone know what make they are?

I think my shortlist is currently (in no particular order)
Ronal R42 - 15"x6J, 4x108, ET40 (ET40 seems a bit big but Ronal reckon this model is certified for the puma)
Konig Z-IN - 15"x6.5J, 8x108, ET38
Sparco Pista - 15"x6.5J, 4x108, ET25 or ET42 (think the offsets are too far off really)

Original Puma F1 wheels (if Ronal), I'm assuming their size is identical to standard puma wheels?
Original puma thunder multispokes, again I'm assuming they are same sizing as standard wheels?

Sell whatever wheels come in on whatever cars I buy, this week three on 9 spokes and one on Props.

No F1 coming in soon but usually get one every other month or so.

Never done a Thunder, not sure why as there are more of them registered, they just don't come up as salvage.

Price depends on the tyres, anywhere from £100 for 2-3mm remaining to £180 for a set on 8mm. Plus £18 to post.

All original equipment Puma wheels as the same fitment - 6x15 ET34. (I think! No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Ian G said:
Ronal make loads of wheels for Ford, including I think the F1 style from the Black edition.

Sorry, these wheels were made by Borbet. (just put them on with winter tyres on). Ronal made the 16" snowflake design for focus Mk2.
It is written or, to be precise, cast in on back side of a wheel and also stamped on wheel cap inside. Btw, the wheel cap on F1 is made of aluminum, not plastic like for the props...

What is the manufacturer Borbet like? I managed to dig up good feedback on Ronal and Konig for durability of their wheels. Anyone got any feedback for Borbet wheels?

Ian, how much would the following be without tyres, I would be swapping my current tyres on to them.
Puma 9 spokes
Puma thunder multispokes
Puma Black F1s

When you said "They're not the hardiest of rims", does that apply to all original Puma wheels?(F1s and thunder multis too?)

I guess trying to get hold of original Puma wheels would guarantee me best fit. Although they wouldnt be brand new. hmm

Would I be able to move my current tyres (on standard 9 spokes) on to any of the 5 wheels in my shortlist? Or would any of those require something other than 195/50/R15?

Its not that I want "mega strong (heavy) wheels" exactly. But after the battering my old 9 spokes took (2 are buckled) from local potholes I was looking for a replacement that was a bit more resilient. I tried researching on the web for opinions on if some makes were stronger than others or if there were any that were liable to easy damage and found very little info.

The only info I could find on durability of wheels was a single source which suggested Ronal,Konig,Enkei,American Racing and BBS were good for durability. Ian also suggested that standard puma alloys were not exactly the most resilient.

Wierdly I've never given the wheels any thought before so learning from scratch. Found Cherie's post extremely useful and was hoping for peoples opinions along the lines of all the tyre discussions I read but not really found anything.

I would be grateful any advice people can give me in general about wheel manufacturers, good experiences or bad. Makes to look for or makes to avoid etc.

Either pay not a lot of money for a 9 spoke / Prop standard replacement (if you're unlucky enough to bend another - ebay or IanG on here will have loads at reasonable prices) or lots of money to replace them all with something non standard then pay more for non standard insurance declaration?

I'd stick with cheap 2nd hand originals and take my chances.

Thanks Dal, food for thought there. I'd forgotten the possibility of increased insurance premiums, darn.

One of the reasons I started looking at aftermarket wheels was that standard 9 spokes seemed to be going for about £150 and I needed 2. For that money I could afford a full set of some aftermarket wheels. Then I started thinking if I was going to pay £150/wheel maybe for the same money I could get something a lot more resilient.

Given my experience of trying to find aftermarket wheels exactly the same size as the originals (proved impossible so far to match everything, sizing and offset) I think your right about going with Puma originals and it sounds like Ian could be a good source.

I do quite like the look of the Puma black F1s and thunder multispokes. Do you reckon if I switched to those it would need insurance notification and the resultant premium increase?

I hear you on the pot holes, shame they never get repaired.
BBS went through a period of poor build quality and nearly went bust in 2006/07.

Gebbly said:
I do quite like the look of the Puma black F1s and thunder multispokes. Do you reckon if I switched to those it would need insurance notification and the resultant premium increase?

Best ask your insurer - some do care, some don't. If you do swap you should declare it either way as it's non standard from factory.

Wild E. Coyote said:
Ian G said:
Ronal make loads of wheels for Ford, including I think the F1 style from the Black edition.

Sorry, these wheels were made by Borbet.

I knew it was a name I'd heard of
facepalm.gif

Thanks for the correction.

Those prices I gave were for a full set with tyres. Singly you're talking around £35 per rim for a good used replacement.

In my experience, the insurer wasn't bothered about what style of alloy so long as the were Puma wheels on a Puma, but you need to check with your own.

That sounds like a much more reasonable price than some I saw online at the start of this odyssey :) Given Ians prices and everyones advice I think my shortlist has shrunk. Ian do you have any of the following at the moment and how much would they be including delivery?

I am after 1 of the following in this order of preference :
a) 4 x puma F1 wheels
b) 4 x puma thunder multispokes
c) 2 x standard 9 spoke
[tyres not needed]

Hi All, Just to wrap up this thread, I bought a couple of 9 spoke alloys from Ian at an extremely good price. To be honest I was expecting them to be a little scratched and dinked as they were second hand but wasnt too worried as long as they weren't buckled. Have to say though that I was pleasantly surprised. The wheels are in immaculate condition without a single scratch.

Now I have to go and wash the car so the rest of it is as shiny and clean as the new wheels.

If anyone is in need of replacement wheels Ian is a good source.

Back