first time insurance

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinc2000

Not Puma related but as there are always items on here about car insurance thought I would add my own experience

My daughter passed her test a week ago after being on a "learner" policy with a company who keep popping up on here, all well and good, not a bad price for a learner driver with her own car and me teaching but now having passed the test...well!!
Some quotes were just stupid £5000+ (who the hell pays these prices?)
So back to the original company, quote not bad (just over £1000) along with a black box so opted for them again, customer service really good, friendly, helpful and efficient, and quickly set up so quite pleased.
Not so pleased however to find that we now owe them another £100+ because as far as I can tell she passed her test too quick, clearly had the learner policy ran the full year there would be nothing else to pay but as it has only run for around 3 months there is this amount to pay, talk about not encouraging people to drive and you can see why so many kids opt to go uninsured.
Its about time ins companies actually tried to help drivers rather than seeing them as ££££ signs, what is the harm of insuring a learner until the test is passed then passing on any difference to the new policy?, can it be that difficult?
And yes it is Adrian Flux I am talking about, nice people, good range of insurance options etc, would I recommend them? not a hope

17 years ago it cost me around £1800 to insure my first car, a Peugeot 1.1 Escapade. That was after shopping around.

I'm not sure it's changed that much by the sounds of it. I did opt for fully comprehensive on my own and that's basically about all I could afford to pay for next to petrol :roll:

I used to be insured by the above in the past... cost of cover was competitive/reasonable considering I was insuring a modified car.

I rang them to get a quote for the project I have sitting in my garage. I told them right at the start that I only wanted a price as I had not decided whether I was going to insure it or just use my current vehicle to tow it around instead.
The price they came back with I was not overly impressed with. Considering I would be doing hardly any mileage each year, just using the car to bum around in locally on occasions, kept in a locked garage, blah blah blah...
I wasn't going to buy the cover, and certainly not at that price, but I was almost being pushed in to buying it. They sounded pretty desperate to get my money.

Pretty sure when they ring me back in a few days I'll be declining their cover... more so for how I was treated on the phone.

Always shop around, comparison websites are best, obviously!
Vote with your wallet, don't fit a black box, this sounds too dystopian!

I was always told that the bulk of my insurance was down to the potential of third party claims and that is what kept the prices high - now I have the same insurance (for me and my partner) almost half of what I have being paid over the years through using an alternative insurer, it is amazing not only to search but to approach insurers with another quote - they will reduce their price quite quickly.

I would generally shop around but I can't normally find suitable enough cover for a modified vehicle.
I wasn't at the time in a financial position to take out cover. I wanted a rough guide to prices so I know roughly what to expect when I am ready to get insured.

Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Also because of our rural location, black box is rubbish, constantly stopping journeys short of home or sending car over fields or miles past the house etc, yet funnily enough it picks up on just 1 mph over the speed limits!!
And then of course we get threatened with cancellation as box is "failing to transmit data"
took company a wee while to admit there was a problem
Did Adrian flux mention any of these potential problems when we took out the ins? of course not!

Latest posts

Back