Focus centre console

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huw_jenks

Evening everyone,

I've fitted a Focus centre console into my Puma, pretty pleased with it. I did cut away a bit too much carpet at one point, but I stuck some of the offcuts in and it looks okay. My question is regarding the rear of the console. It has a 12v socket which I would like to wire in, but the carpet is currently blocking the socket. Unlike the rest of the carpet which I cut out, there appears to be a large block of polystyrene glued under the section which I will need to remove.

What else is under there? Is it safe just to hack away at it? I wasn't too bothered about cutting up the carpet at the front of the car because I knew it would all be covered. I'm more reluctant to do so in this location, because the results will be visible. If there's no reason I can't cut the polystyrene out, my plan is to take an ofcut of carpet and cut it to the correct size to cover the wound. Of course, if there's not only polystyrene under there but metalwork too, the I'll just have to accept that I can't wire the socket in.

I'd imagine you could run a wire from the +12v feed on 'normal' cigar lighter, under the carpet and centre console, then attach to your new cigar lighter. Either earth directly on body using an existing fixing and ring terminal (eg seat fixing or handbrake mounting) or run two wires from your front cigar lighter.

Out of interest do you have some more pics of the Focus centre console fitment? I'd be interested to try this on mine.

grogee said:
I'd imagine you could run a wire from the +12v feed on 'normal' cigar lighter, under the carpet and centre console, then attach to your new cigar lighter. Either earth directly on body using an existing fixing and ring terminal (eg seat fixing or handbrake mounting) or run two wires from your front cigar lighter.

Out of interest do you have some more pics of the Focus centre console fitment? I'd be interested to try this on mine.

I'll try and take some more photos of it over the next few days.

In the meantime, anyone know if it's going to be okay to keep cutting away at the carpet in the rear?

Latest posts

Back