My reason for joining the forum, hopefully I can update this as I make progress. Bought September 2021.
- Both rear arches, not that bad
- Front panel/crossbar/headlight/radiator mount area
- Hole in floor where VIN in located approx 5mm in diameter
Seems to be in really good condition. Sold with a new set of tyres, discs and pads on the front.
Front has been torned down:
The radiator bracket was really bad:
All repainted, rust was wire wheeled to bare metal, coated in Vactan before being primed and painted:
Too bad I'm a dope and got overspray on the rest of the engine bay (though I masked and bagged half of it), gutted as it cleaned up nice:
Any tips for removing overspray? It was fairly spotless before :evil:
I have refurbed one of the headlights, starting with 800 grit I went up to 6000 grit all wet and dry before I gloss lacquered it. Came out decent, there is a run on there so I may revisit it. No doubt I'll do a better job on the other light.
I have replaced the passenger side inner tie rod, there's a guide in the how to section I made. Still need to get it properly aligned.
Lots more to do on it, the car it has replaced was a 2006 Fiesta 1.4 which is a brilliant little car. I did an intake, HEL braided brake lines, EBC discs and Green Stuff pads on that. Perfect corner thrower, great fun absolutely. I wasn't sure about the Puma but decided I'd probably not get chance to own another one, I know it's basically an older Fiesta but it's a sports car with a lot more power than my 1.4 and something that now has become a bit niche. Wicked styling that looks like no other car on the road. So far it's a way better drive than my Fiesta was.
A new cam belt and tensioner is a big next job. I've never done one.
Jobs I want/need to do in no particular order:
- Cam belt
- Camshaft seal
- VCT seal
- Cam cover gasket
- Water pump
- Aux belt
- Front Mondeo MK3 calipers
- 300mm discs
- braided brake lines
- RBF600 brake fluid
- Some kind of exhaust, cat back
- (maybe) Drivers side window rubber seal (the lower one, corroding inside causing it to bubble at the edge)
- Complete stereo upgrade
- Lowering springs
- 16 inch wheels (looking at Ford Mondeo 16 inch, those Escort Cosworth/GTI style ones)
- Rear arches, remove carpet, wire wheel, Vactan, paint, Raptor liner and run without carpet? Possibly.
- Disassemble, clean and stop the rear lights getting water in them
- Seats out, carpets out, remove/replace sound deadening, repair any rust, reassemble
- Strip and reseal the under side of the car
I've started detailing the paintwork, clay barred the bonnet, front bumper, wing, drivers door and a bit of the rear quarter so far. Lots of contaminants in the paint. Polished the bonnet. No dents or scratches to worry about, a couple of light white small scuffs about. The only damage seems to be a touched up line about 15cm long on the front bumper on the passenger side. You may be able to see it in the picture.
Hope you enjoy the thread, let me know if you have any suggestions.