Found a few temp car choices, opinions?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which car would you choose???

• 02 156 Alfa 1.8

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • 02 Rover 75 1.8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 01 Nissan Primera 2.0

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

mix2000

Come this weekend my trusty Honda Integra is no longer mine :'( (guy bought it for a trackday weapon)
Apparently the missus "owns" the Puma. :(
I'm in need of a temp cheap car for a few months, while I'm settling in new job.

Money is slim pickens at min and what fits my budget so far are;
02 156 Alfa 1.8
02 Rover 75 1.8
01 Nissan Primera 2.0
Anyone that has much experience living with these... feedback would be much appreciated

Also feel free to make a personal choice in the poll above :grin: cheers!

nissan has a timin g chain rover does have the k series engines so no head gaskets to worry about and the alfa would be the best but very unrelaible hope this helps but if you can get a rover 600 TI
the are very relaible and very fast 140 plus 2.0 16v twin can turbo plus its not the k series so again no hgf

156 or the 75 - both far more characterful than the Primera.

Rover...crap engine
Alfa.....nice motor but you need your own breakdown truck
Nissan...bit boring but so smooth and reliable....wins hands down as a cheap runaround

Also why not look at a Toyota Avensis?...wifes car...1.8...160.000 on the clock, burns oil but near silent, economical and comfortable

the nissan will out live the other by a long shot a friend of mine had one years ago as a company car it was thrashed everywhere rallied down tracks and it did well over 300,000 miles! i went to by a alfa 156 once but i couldnt pick it up till the weekend by then it had broke lol

Hard to find a decent Avensis at 156/Rover 75/Primera prices, and these are 3 that I'm actively looking at.

I reckon I'll only keep it 6mths max! (mind, I thought that about the Integra,.... nearly 10 years ago :grin: )

pri_zpsbbe42f8d.jpg

75_zps3cb5a79b.jpg

156_zps5bd1d6d2.jpg

I voted Nissan a shining symbol of reliability itself, my other half had an X Trail did nearly 100k miles and it never once went wrong!

I owned an Alfa 156 twin spark for about 3 years and then traded it in for a brand new Seat Altea, worst mistake I ever made! Everyone says Alfas are unreliable but it never missed a beat for me, had the momo leather seats, I still miss it although not as much since having the puma :p

I looked at Alfa 156s before I bought my first Puma in 2006. I know the Puma interior isn't the greatest but I found it loads nicer than the Alfa!

I've had an Alfa 156 2.0 twinspark ran sweet as a nut, never had any problems in the year I had it.
My sister has a Nissan Primera, had it 9 years, never services it, never washes it, it sails throught it's MOT every year despite the facty it very rusty and it's never let her down.

Given the choice I'd have the Alfa! much better drive.

Hmm, food for thought...
Swinging towards the Alfa myself, never owned one, but many aeons ago worked in a garage and the supply runabout was a little alfasud 1300. It was a heap of scrap but everyone had a smile on their face getting into it. (and wet shoes getting out :lol: )
Wasn't quite as neat as this..

alfa_romeo_alfasud_ti_1_3_large_28811.jpg

:( Wish I had a better choice but these are under my price range, localish, and the size I'm after.

Weirdly, out of all of those, I'd go for the 75 (assuming you can get the uprated head gasket). Well built, great ride, and importantly, its different.

Latest posts

Back