Front wheel bearing????

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsbegood

Hi guys, my sister has a 1.7 51 plate Puma. I was out in it the other day when i noticed a terrible drone/humming noise coming from the passenger wheel while turning the steering wheel right only a few degrees! It sounds like a wheel bearing to me but thought i'd post a topic on here as i know a few of you guys are pros on the Puma! The tyres are new and have had them checked to see if they had been put on the alloy correctly and they had so it points towards the wheel bearing/cv joint area i would of thought!
Any hints tips or solutions would greatfully be received!
Paul

Welcome.

Best way to tell (and only way really!) is to jack the car up and try to rock the wheel with hands at 3 and 9 and then 12 and 6 o'clock. If there's any play, then the bearing is worn excessively and probably the source of your rumble.

Is the noise more noticeable when turning right then?

Hi Dal,
yes as soon as you turn the steering wheel right and i mean, as soon as you turn it you get this drone like a low flying jet come on! mechanic says wheel bearings ok but i think its shot! i have a passat and when the bearings go on that you get a drone sound! i'll jack the little fella up and see if the wheel wobbles!
thanks,
Paul

Back