FRP ecu and older analoug wiering

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman

Hi, I need your colective visdome :)

As the title sugjests, this is regarding the older wiering, and the newer frp ecu.

My puma is a 1998, I have sucsessfuly fitted a Tape ECU to it and I had no issues at all, I reprogramed keys and everything.

Now, I have fitted a true FRP ecu. or so I belive.

Annyway, before hedding off to ford fair, I wanted to program a second key, because lets face it, it's always good having 2 keys on vacation.
but that did not work, I atributed it to beeing a fault in the IDS system, and went away.

now I tryed again today, but stil no luck. I also tryed to reset the airbag light after fitting my nev FRP seats, but i can not accsses the srs module, the IDS states that it is not pressent. same whit the ABS, GEM, and digital instrument, the 2 last once ara ofcourse true, but both the ABS and SRS have always been conected, and working fine..

now, I know that there is one pin that needs moving to alov the temp gauge to work, althoug I have never moved it, as it has alwyas worked anyway.
could there be more pins that need moving, or is there a fault whit my FRP ecu??

this is realy anoying, as I have 4 keys, and only one that works, and a blinking SRS light....

Anny thougjt onm the subject is werry apreciated :)

I would think the TAPE and FRP would be the same for the wiring.
I've swapped from TAPE to FRP and everything still worked after the change but I have the newer digi dash.
I did put a TAPE in my old '98 Puma by had to swap the pins for the temp gauge.

There needs to be two keys already programmed to the ECU before you can program another. I can't remember if we have to use two separate programmed keys to get the ECU in the programming mode to program a third.

If you have two TRANSPONDERED keys (the small one won't even start the car, just will unlock it) you can add another key to your ECU and it will then start the engine.
If you have only one, I think you have to visit someone with IDS to instruct the ECU to let that key start the engine.
Regardin' the rest of post can't add anything useful. Sorry

Thanx :)

Yes I agree, I thought they were identical...

I know you need 2 keys to manualy add keys, but you only need 1 when hooked up to the ford ids machine :) I got 2 keys whit the ecu, but I could only ever get 1 to work, ethe ecu says it has 2 keys programed.
but stil. I don't get it, it might be that I need to delete all the keys before it wil aksept reprograming, but I don't want to render my FRP ecu useless if I delete them, and it stil won't reprogram... :/

I work at a Ford/Volvo dealership, so I have full accsess to the IDS :)

I have tryed 3 different keys :) all of wich are relatively new, and have been reprogramed before, but the issue is not whit the key, it is whit the safety accssess in the IDS.

however, I might have found a solutin, I spoke whit the master ford tec again, and aparently there has been made some changes to the IDS securety latley, and the computers need setting up in a special way for accsses.
the most computer able mechanic is coming back from wacation on monday, so I wil have him try and sett up the computer corectly then :) fingers crossed :)

Back