Fudster Wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

So were driving along some lanes yesterday, Amanda at the helm. Unfortunately she is still learning, and as such took a bend at an angle that wasnt brilliant. Result? She whacked the kerb at 30+ mph. The sidewall of the tyre has got a gouge abuout 1 cm long and 1mm deep in it, and the lip of the rim is slightly bent. The car felt fine afterwards, however i know it will need the tracking sorting.

Anyone know if the trye should be replaced, since its sidewall damage? I know you cant really mess about with the sidewall, but it also doesnt look that bad.

Also, if it does need replacing, ive noticed there are wheels on ebay for that shape fiesta like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Fiesta-Alloy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 286.c0.m14

Since theyre fiesta wheels going on a fiesta (the right model too, theyre froma mkIV) would i need to declare them?

Grey area I think, I bet half the people that swap from props to 9 spoke or back don't declare it..

..might be worth an anonymous phone call to enquire?

I wouldn't bother just yet, as there's a good chance she'll scrape a wheel again while she's learning, better scraping a steel wheel than an alloy. ;)

What about replacing the tyre? You think i can get away with it? When i had a nail in my puma tyre the guy said i had to replace it as the side wall was compromised.

I've got a little nick out of one of mine on the side. Been like it for over a year. If it's small it won't matter.

But if the steel is bent, that could compromise the seal for the tyre and be a bit dodgy.

I wouldn't bother replacing the tyre but safety first. If the cord is showing or there's a buldge, it's junk.

Do you have a friendly MOT centre that could have a two second look?
Or stick a photo up on here a wee look should be able to tell us if it's ok.

£ 10 - 20 depending on which scrap yard you go to (wheel and tyre) if its just for a steely, job done.

Better to be safe than sorry. Remember your tyres are the only thing that touch the road, so if one goes whats going to happen!!!

So for the sake of a few quid is it worth messing about

Ive got a picture on my phone, but i havent got he lead with me in work, ill post it up tommorow. Its only a tiny knick really, but i know you have to be careful with the sidewall.

12102008570.jpg

click on it and it will enlarge.

It doesn't look too bad to me..

.. if you need peace of mind from a safety while learner perspective it might still be worth changing it..

Don't worry about that. It's not damaged the structure of the tyre and we all know, it won't be the last time that wheel has some kerb action.

Latest posts

Back