Fuel pump won't fit new tank...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67911121km

So, a week ago, I filled up my 2000 1.7 and it started leaking fuel on to the garage forecourt. I got someone out to look at it and they told me that the rubber hose fitted between the plastic filler pipe and the tank itself had perished. Managed to get the car home to find that it was actually a leak in the corroded seam of the tank - well done Green Flag, f@#king retards!

Anyway, got a local garage to pick up my car on a trailer a week ago, spoke to them today and they told me that there was a problem with fitting my existing pump into the new tank. So, they got a different tank on order from Mill Autoquip... same problem. The pump on my car (which is still working fine) won't fit in either of the new tanks.

No idea what to do, they suggested that they fit an alternative pump which was taken off a Ka. The guy at the garage says it fits ok and should work without any problems, but the fuel gauge might not properly if at all.

The alternative... £200 for a new pump!!!

I've done a search on eBay and see many breakers/parts suppliers selling pumps suitable for both Pumas and Kas. Unfortunately, I've no idea what year Ka the pump's from, but does anyone know what sort of problems I may have (fuel gauge readings, etc)?

For anyone interested: work done by "local" garage including recovery, new tank, used pump + labour = £200. Old pump should fetch around £30 on eBay, so £170 for the work (less £45 if they hadn't picked up the car)

Ian G said:
If you can identify which pump you need then I'll have a car in stock to match.

Thanks Ian. TBH, it's the tank that's causing the problem. Might be too late now, they were really pushing me for an answer this afternoon because my car's been up on one of their lifts for three days doing nothing. If there are major issues, eg. no fuel gauge reading at all, then I will have to investigate further.

What was the issue? exactly why wouldnt the pump fit?
Was the first tank from Mill Autoquip as well?
Have you got pictures of your old tank? and new tank/ s

There is a difference in the sender units between analogue and digital dash Pumas,which will cause the petrol guage to be incorrect, so using a KA pump could introduce all sorts of variables.

I wouldnt be pushed into rushing by the garage, until you establish what is wrong,if the tanks were both from the same place its likely the tanks are wrong / or if its the same make of tank from different places its likely the tank is wrong.

I wouldnt bother trying to solve a tank problem, by replacing the pump if its going to cause guage problems which will only entail more cost and work at a later date

quest63 said:
What was the issue? exactly why wouldnt the pump fit?
Was the first tank from Mill Autoquip as well?
Have you got pictures of your old tank? and new tank/ s

There is a difference in the sender units between analogue and digital dash Pumas,which will cause the petrol guage to be incorrect, so using a KA pump could introduce all sorts of variables.

I wouldnt be pushed into rushing by the garage, until you establish what is wrong,if the tanks were both from the same place its likely the tanks are wrong / or if its the same make of tank from different places its likely the tank is wrong.

I wouldnt bother trying to solve a tank problem, by replacing the pump if its going to cause guage problems which will only entail more cost and work at a later date

It's the original tank (fitted when the car was made) that's corroded and being replaced with one from Mill Auto.

The existing pump (which again, I believe is the original as there is nothing in the car's history that indicates fuel pump replacement) won't fit - something to do with the actual fitting and securing into the hole on top of the new tank. That's the basic gist of it.

I can see if the garage can hold off doing anything, but if its too late (they've fitted everything and put fuel in the tank) then they will charge me for the tank they have because Mill Auto won't credit them.

I've seen tanks on eBay but how do I know if the one that I order is going to take my pump? I don't have the money to pay the garage at the moment, let alone for ordering tanks myself in the hope that it'll accept my pump.

It's a 2000 1.7, if anyone can confirm the part number.

*** Edit: just phoned the garage and they've not done the work yet so I put a hold on anything being done... the twat told me I'll have to find a tank in that case

Wo steady on, its probably a bit too soon to be thinking about scrapping it for such a minor problem.

And I agree with Scubb's the garage agreed to do the job and took on the responsibility of finding the correct tank. I really cant understand how the problem is arising? given that earlier and later model pumps are interchangeable albeit with severe guage problems, and given that fiesta and KA tanks and pumps may also be usable I cant understand how your pump isnt fitting unless either the supplied tanks are wrong, or the tank they took off your car is from another model of car entirely, which is very unlikely. I'm wondering if they dont have the correct fitting tool or simply dont know what they are doing?

quest63 said:
Wo steady on, its probably a bit too soon to be thinking about scrapping it for such a minor problem.

And I agree with Scubb's the garage agreed to do the job and took on the responsibility of finding the correct tank. I really cant understand how the problem is arising? given that earlier and later model pumps are interchangeable albeit with severe guage problems, and given that fiesta and KA tanks and pumps may also be usable I cant understand how your pump isnt fitting unless either the supplied tanks are wrong, or the tank they took off your car is from another model of car entirely, which is very unlikely. I'm wondering if they dont have the correct fitting tool or simply dont know what they are doing?

Yes, my comment on scrapping has been removed - it was an outburst brought on by my sheer anger at the garage!

I have decided to try and source a used tank and pump together (Ian, PM has been sent). I can then sell my pump to recoup some of the cost.

The car's got to be sold by the end of the year due to new arrival (baby) so I just need something to last me a few months.

Ok cool, Make sure you get a tank / pump from a digital dash model so your guage works ok

Good luck with it :thumbs:

quest63 said:
Ok cool, Make sure you get a tank / pump from a digital dash model so your guage works ok

Good luck with it :thumbs:

Thanks.

Just want to get it sorted, been without a car for almost two weeks now.

Ian G said:
PM replied, got one here ready to go.

Thanks Ian - payment sent :grin: Also sent you a seperate PM with garage address, will save me a 13 mile round trip or paying more postage.

Latest posts

Back