Gearbox Noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burger Boy

Hello Everyone,

This morning I noticed that when I waggle the gear stick in neutral there is a very tinny noise under the car coming from the gearbox area, the same sort of tinny sound as knackered baffles on an exhaust back box, any ideas? at the moment the gearbox is ok, sometimes it does seem to clunk from 1st to 2nd almost causing the steering to jolt slightly.

Looks like I might have to fit the FRP gearbox sooner than I wanted to! What's a good clutch plate for the FRP gearbox other that the standard one?

Cheers Scott.

could be the gear linkage- i know i need to change mine as it buzzs in 3rd and 4th at about 32 and 42 mph.

I think it was AndyW who found this out first- not sure though.

Have a look at that first before doing the gearbox i would think.

As for clutch- try the 1.8 focus clutch- seems to handle alot of stick well and its 219mm not 210mm. Its plate has more 'meat' so to speak on it and should in theroy be more sturdy with no effect on the pedal feel that some others can suffer from??

Fiesta ST clutch is supposed to be the OE one to go for, the Focus Mk1 1.6/1.8 clutch has a greater contact area than the standard 1.7 item, but is actually rated for less torque IIRC.

Chris (Eldoodarino) was selling a new one, might be worth a shout?

Took my Focus one out...i'll gladly sell it on.... :grin:

Have an ST one also...a few quid more tho.. :wink:

judging by your list of Mods..I'd say the St item would be up your street... The 100hp focus one is for old ladies.. :lol:

Back