Got me a puma 1st car

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eazy

Hi. newbie puma owner (Learner Driver) here. :)

Yup I got me a puma for £300 and I think I'm loving it.

photo.php

Hmmm, I'm unsure how to upload an image. I'm usually seen driving this little car around with L plates at the moment. I should pass my test in 2-3 weeks. I'm 33 I just had a careless child hood and was banned for never actually getting a licence but driving anyway (please don't judge me yet).

It's the 1.7 and on a Y at 2001, insurance would have been fully comp, £1500 avg. But its on the girlfriends for around £700 (shes 1 years no claims and 49 yo).

It has a couple of under the paint rust spots. I wonder if these are worth getting fixed if this car is ever gonna be a future classic??? I'm also getting around 36 miles per £5 at current rate around £1.08 per liter. I'm unsure if that's any good?

What I'm really wondering is should it idle around 800 - 900 rpm and if so, you defiantly feel it. I'm generally mechanically minded and I done a PDA motor vehicle diagnostics course a collage a few years back so I _should_ be able to fix anything assuming its within my budget of very poor lol.

BTW the girlfriend drives jags. she thinks my car is a go-kart. Even though she thinks her diesel estate jag might seem faster I'm thinking it probably isn't :)

Another quick thing. How many miles should it be before I change timing belt? I think its done 20 to 30000 since its last time.

Thanks,

Joe

Forgot to mentions a thing and unsure what threads to put it under.

I was driving it a couple of days and it dumped all its water/anti-freeze mix (tasted like sugar) I couldn't find where it came from. But as its heater is only blowing hot, is that just the Heater Control Valve that's at fault. I think this because its hasn't done it again for 3 days now but I've kept the windows open and the blower holes open.

Thanks,
Joe

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

If it lost all its water there must be a leak in the water system unless you mean it all bubbled out of the reservoir, which might indicate a problem with the HCV or just an air blockage or blocked radiator but possibly something more sinister.

The HCV blowing only hot definitely means you have a HCV problem to my mind. Only use a genuine Ford one as cheap ebay HCV's are complete tat. However till you get that sorted you wont know if you ONLY have a HCV problem.

Welcome.

There is a guide of some description on here explaining how to post pictures. You basically upload them to photobucket or the like, then post up the 'IMG' tag.
Posting the tag from you Facebook account may not work if none of us are 'friends'

748 said:
I didn't know anti-freeze tasted like sugar :shock: :lol:
I know someone who used to know what the mixture was like by tasting it. Not something I'd be trying!

quest63 said:
If it lost all its water there must be a leak in the water system unless you mean it all bubbled out of the reservoir, which might indicate a problem with the HCV or just an air blockage or blocked radiator but possibly something more sinister.

It definitely didn't come from the rad or the expansion. It was some where above the gear box to the left of the battery. Funny thing it has not happen again yet I've been driving all day.

Catweasel said:
748 said:
I didn't know anti-freeze tasted like sugar :shock: :lol:

I can confirm it does taste sweet. It is also poisonous especially to cats !

:shock: pumas are cats :shock:

eazy said:
It definitely didn't come from the rad or the expansion. It was some where above the gear box to the left of the battery. Funny thing it has not happen again yet I've been driving all day.
That'll be the double outlet under the coil pack. A common corrosion problem area. I'll bet one of the pipes or the alloy casting has perished.The small one is the inlet to the HCV, the other one is the rad top hose.
Paul

748 said:
eazy said:
That'll be the double outlet under the coil pack. A common corrosion problem area. I'll bet one of the pipes or the alloy casting has perished.The small one is the inlet to the HCV, the other one is the rad top hose.
Paul

Yes that's exactly it. I couldn't think strait because I haven't had the time during the daylight to look at it. Do you think the water got dumped out of there because it was boiling over and expanded the fitting since it hasn't happened again yet? Or do you think I might need some new part?

I should go look but as the other car is in for MOT tomorrow during the day, I wont be able to get to look at it until the next again day or so. (this will be roadside btw as I don't have a garage).

EDIT: ignore that I hadn't read the full of your post properly. Sorry

Thanks

Joe

If its holding its coolant now, then roll with it.
watch your gauge and carry a load of water!

As soon as you can. whip a few parts off that are in the way and have a good look at where the problem lies. There will be a pile of dusty crystal build up in the offending area.
It`ll give you an idea of whether you need a hose or just a wire brush and gasket..

Stu..

Latest posts

Back