got my eye on this Puma...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iang74

just happens to be at a garage down the road from me, not seen it first-hand though... from the details in the ad, can anyone suggest any specific questions I should ask... and what should I reasonably aim to knock off the asking price, for cash?

also, to my untrained eye, there appears to be a lot of space between the wheels and wheel arches, is this indiciative of any modding do you tihnk?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../radius/1500/page/1/postcode/pe26yf?logcode=p

thanks in advance...

Welcome :)

These threads might be helpful to you

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The gap looks normal, from some angles it can look quite high.

The car looks very standard to me.

The links above are good. Check the history for signs of cambelt change as this should have been changed by now.

Seems a high mileage, but most pumas last way longer than that, i just think you could possibly find a lower milage'd one for a similar price :)

Car looks nice tho :grin:

lot more information on the dealers own site:
http://www.countycarsyaxley.co.uk/used-cars/ford-puma-1-4i-16v-3dr-peterborough-201034366846160
lots of detailed spec in the Interior/exterior tab. Should I be encouraged that it's still got just a radio/cassette player? (surely your average boy racer wouldn't be seen dead in something with less than a small arena sized CD sound system??) and were 'wheel arch liners' standard fitted or (as stated in the spec) were they retrofitted and a good indicator of it maybe not having the common rust problem under the arches?
If someone could tell me what's occuring between the rear seat and side panel in picture 3 of 7 i'd be grateful... looks like something's there that shouldn't be.

Hoping to go look at it on Thursday, got the checklist from this forum and someone who knows what they're doing (hopefully) coming with me, so should all be good. Any other pointers anyone here can identify from the listing information?
Going to offer £650 cash if it's all good. Do you think that'd be taking the piss? (asking price £790)

thanks in advance

Its easy to pop the standard radio back in especially if the former owner forked out a small fortune on a system.
Rear seat gap looks to be filled with foam :?

tis high mileage but then so is mine and its had a few bumps, scrapes and is generally raced around a bit. It's just passed it's MOT with an advisory brake pad at 120k miles.

cheers guys. I'm not unduly concerned about the mileage... from looking around the interweb, most pumas seem to be in the 95k-120k range anyway. I've looked at fiestas between 12-15 years old still clocking mileage over 150k, so sure I'd get a good couple years at least out of it.

I guess from the pictures my only minor concern would be whatever that thing is between the rear seat and panel. do you think I'd get the price down to £650 without taking the piss? Factors in my favour (I reckon):

high mileage
the part-service history
only 2 keys
radio/cassette player (haven't owned cassettes for a decade!)
that seat/panel thing

and perhaps the clincher, whether or not it had a new cam belt fitted 20k miles ago?

what d'ye reckon?

I would certainly try for that price and also point out the rust in the os rear wheel arch - which is expensive to get fixed professionally.

If it's only down the road why don't you just go and have a look at it?

I don't think picture 3/7 is probably anything but a bad photograph.

Also from 2/7 it looks like it's had after market front speakers fitted.

Only 2 keys isn't that negative, loads of vehicles I've owned have only come with 1 key.

From the pictures it may also be missing the rubber strip that runs the length of the front bumper at the bottom.

don't buy it, i nearly bought it until I went over it with a friend of mine, cambelt is in need of replacing, rust on the bottom of it is worse than usual, the lock and the electrics need sorting on it and there were a whole load of other issues on it, yes it does have a lot of the extras on it but between the problems me and my friend found we reckoned it'd need atleast £600 spending on it within a month or two of buying it. Also when I went to have a look at it he tried to get me to do a test drive in it without a gear knob and when I went back to have a a second look at it he kept me waiting at the garage for two and a half hours after what time I'd told him i'd be there to meet him (good thing in retrospect). I offered him £550 and told him there was no way i'd pay any more for it. Its also well known as being a proper dodgy garage in the area.

bigJ said:
Its also well known as being a proper dodgy garage in the area.

second person to have told me that... oh well, won't hurt to get a test drive out of them at least, find out if a Puma really is for me. On the other hand, it's now got a 12 month MOT so wonder if the problems you found have been corrected? we'll see....

I got told by half a dozen people that place is dodgy, the garage does the MOT itself when you buy it, don't forget an MOT only looks at things like lights/washers/etc. I asked them if I could have it looked over by an independent mechanic and they said no. Test drive it by all means, its an awesome car, you'll be amazed with it, I drove along broadway and down to Norman's cross and then back up and round the village in it, handled really well, try the 1.7 they've got there as well, looked like it was in better condition but be wary, there are plenty of puma's around anyway.

Can you travel at all? This seems a better car for not much more...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2231860.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or these
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2337283.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201049374911892/sort/locasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/fuel-type/petrol/model/puma/make/ford/radius/1500/page/1/postcode/pe26yf?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers Badger, have called one of those already :) may be out to have a look at it next weekend.

Had a look at it, can only be unlocked from the passenger side, will defo need a new lock in the drivers side, anyone know how much that'd be likely to cost? No service history after 101k miles, and the rear wheel arch rust has disappeared under paint! Everything else looks OK though. Sticking point will be the new cambelt and drivers side lock/electrics.

couldn't take it for a test drive as the bloke (obviously looking after the fort) didn't have the key to the cupboard where they've put the gear stick knob! Made an appointment for tomorrow, but whehter I go will depend on how much you guys here think the drivers side lock/electrics might cost?

Why would they take the gearstick nob off? :?

It really depends what's wrong with the drivers lock.. does the drivers door unlock when you open it from the passengers door?

matt said:
Why would they take the gearstick nob off? :?

It really depends what's wrong with the drivers lock.. does the drivers door unlock when you open it from the passengers door?

yeah it does no problem... think the issue is the car can only be locked/unlocked from the passenger side for whatever reason. could be mechanical, electrical, or mixture of both. Although it's not a prohibitive problem, I'd imagine it'd get tiresome very quickly having to scoot round to the passenger side every time!!

never bothered with this in the end, but it's still there on autotrader everytime I look in... added another £200 to the price without detailing any work done on it, shysters!

Back