Headlight levelling motors

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

I had issues with the headlight levelling motors deciding to drop both lights to the lowest level every time I turned them on.

I've replaced both motors and all was well...... for about a couple of weeks.
Now, the passenger side constantly goes up and down like a dogs hind leg, even with only the side lights on.

I know there is a guide on here on how to strip the motors down, and give them a wee dab of light oil/grease.
But, my question is... why do these damn motors suddenly decide to adjust the lights for no apparent reason!? What makes them suddenly do this, and why does a little dab of oil/grease seem to 'cure' them?
I really can't see why lubricating them does any good. Mine currently moves up and down quite freely, albeit of its own accord.

Are they from me? Got more here if you want to try another set.

Be interested to rule out something electrical though, are they both doing it? That to me would implicate the switch more than the motors.

Ian G said:
Are they from me? Got more here if you want to try another set.

Be interested to rule out something electrical though, are they both doing it? That to me would implicate the switch more than the motors.
Hi Ian

I didn't get them from you.

The first time, both lights would drop when I turned them on and must have raised again when I turned them off. Must have raised otherwise they wouldn't have been able to lower.

First thing I tried was to remove/unplug the levelling dial/switch from the dash. That did sweet FA.
In the end I turned the motors manually to get them higher then unplugged the motors.

Now, it's just the passenger side playing up.
It starts level then I can see the beam drops a couple of inches for about a second, then goes back up for a couple of seconds. It cycles up and down constantly until I turns the lights off.
This 'cycling' up and down happens when the side lights are on or dipped beam.

By strange coincidence I used the lights on the FRP for the first time today (only had it a couple of days). Pulled up, turned engine off, buzzing sound coming from under the bonnet...ns headlamp. Switch lights off it stops. That's fixed it then (won't drive it when it's dark) :lol:
Seriously though, gonna have a good look at weekend, anybody had this before? What should I expect?
Paul

I've had similar problems with my headlamp. often the contacts connector of the headlight or headlights with the running levelling motor is the culprit. They are temperamental though, and the contacts can become loose or even break off inside the headlight plug connector Another thing that finally sorted mine out was to adjust the dashboard control so that the levels cycle from maximum to minimum height a few times( e.g 3-4). I have no idea why this worked but I did notice that after unplugging the headlight connector that almost every time I switched the headlights on the motor would run , I previously had stripped headlights down and greased everything up, as per the useful forum article on stripping the headlights , but the problem still remained. cycling the headlights from max to minimum was what finally solved the problem. I have not heard the headlight levelling motor running for over 4 months now and have adjusted the dashboard headlight leveller controller to ensure that the motors still works. :thumbs:

DOH said:
I've had similar problems with my headlamp. often the contacts connector of the headlight or headlights with the running levelling motor is the culprit. They are temperamental though, and the contacts can become loose or even break off inside the headlight plug connector Another thing that finally sorted mine out was to adjust the dashboard control so that the levels cycle from maximum to minimum height a few times( e.g 3-4). I have no idea why this worked but I did notice that after unplugging the headlight connector that almost every time I switched the headlights on the motor would run , I previously had stripped headlights down and greased everything up, as per the useful forum article on stripping the headlights , but the problem still remained. cycling the headlights from max to minimum was what finally solved the problem. I have not heard the headlight levelling motor running for over 4 months now and have adjusted the dashboard headlight leveller controller to ensure that the motors still works. :thumbs:

Mine's been constantly on lowest setting for ages now, had faith the changing from max to min technique would work fo me but only good for a few seconds and ended up as always lighting up just my front splitter which is ever so helpful on a pitch dark road :'(

GrayFox wrote"Mine's been constantly on lowest setting for ages now, had faith the changing from max to min technique would work fo me but only good for a few seconds and ended up as always lighting up just my front splitter which is ever so helpful on a pitch dark road :'("

With regard to your problem Gray Fox, do the headlights adjust up at all, from using the dash control?
If not and you can hear the motors running , have you checked the headlight ball rod socket hasn't become detached from the rod that the motor moves?

DOH said:
GrayFox wrote"Mine's been constantly on lowest setting for ages now, had faith the changing from max to min technique would work fo me but only good for a few seconds and ended up as always lighting up just my front splitter which is ever so helpful on a pitch dark road :'("

With regard to your problem Gray Fox, do the headlights adjust up at all, from using the dash control?
If not and you can hear the motors running , have you checked the headlight ball rod socket hasn't become detached from the rod that the motor moves?

Yea they adjust from the dash control just always fall to the lowest setting.

Latest posts

Back