Heated Front Windshield!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisg

A cold winter morning has unearthed a snag, hopefully it isn't anything too serious, but when I turn on the heated front screen, only the passenger side demists. Am I looking for anything obvious (Spade connectors/Relays etc.) or am I looking at something more sinister?

It's a standard 2000 (W) 1.4 Puma with a Digi dash.

Many thanks in advance!

Sounds like a break in the wire on the actual windscreen. I don't recall which side the power comes in on though but I believe the heat wires run in parallel so the break is probably right between where it works and doesn't work.

That's just my 2 pence worth though.

There looks to be a stone chip smack bang on an element... is it FUBAR'd?

Just to update this, it was in fact a sheared spade connector that had snapped, along with most of the riibbon, so some ingenuity with leccy tape was required and now it works. Although one thing I will say is ford are pillocks for supplying the car with an early user's guide with completely wrong fuse and relay locations!

Thanks everyone for your rapid help! :D

Yip,

The spade connectors are behind the A-Pillar cover, simply pull down the rubber door seal and prise gently to remove the clips (I didn't break any, where's me trophy?) and the spade connectors are located at the top and bottom.

However, when it comes to the repairing of the snag, you're best of looking elsewhere, as on the way home from work (On the 83,000 mile!) I turned it on and the connector started smouldering and kicking out smoke, now the connector pokes out of the pillar cover as an ever-lasting testament to my failure!

(It's probably worth mentioning that I fix helicopters for a living and trying to get into the electrical side of things :oops: )

Back