Heated windscreen and passenger mirror heater not working

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gargravarr

Hi all,

I'm slowly working through the checklist to bring Wildcat back to fully-functioning condition - there've been some small issues to work out and things not working, which are probably acceptable for what I paid for the car. It's currently having the cambelt, aux belt, water pump, clutch and both rear shocks replaced and the oil leak seen to, the rest of the tasks are up to me.

The big issue is the windscreen heater. It's not working at all, even though the button lights up and goes off on timer. The screen just doesn't heat up. I thought it might be a fuse, but the 40A engine bay fuse is sound. Anything else I can check? It's something I am really missing from the Fez, nothing clears the screen as quick in cold weather, and with the temperature hovering around freezing I'm going to need to be able to defrost it!

Also, the passenger-side mirror heater isn't working, although the electric mirror does function, so it's not cabling. Since the driver side works, as does the rear screen, I assume this isn't a fuse, unless there's fuses for each side? If not, what else can I check? Didn't realise how useful mirror heaters were until I noticed water droplets roll off the driver's mirror when it's heated.

Thanks in advance,
Gargravarr

Check the relay as well also worth checking is previous owner hasn't fitted a cheaper non heated screen at some point

Same as the possibility of a replacement mirror glass fitted without the element being refitted to the back of it.

Also I believe not all cars had both mirrors heated

It's definitely got a front screen with heating elements fitted, so the problem's electrical. Know which relay it is, Oilburner?

Zinc2000: that's a bit odd, not having both mirrors heated - why do only one side...
Didn't consider that the mirror could have been replaced with plain glass... now that I think about it, the passenger mirror housing has a big mark on it, possibly means the mirror was replaced at some point. Will have to get the glass out and have a look for eletrical connectors. Cheers

lower the fuse box 3 relays on the side off it,should be a green 1 iirc,place finger on replay and feel if it clicks when switch is operated,when you find it remove and swap with 1 of the other relays and try screen ,relay is approx £4 and there is a part number on this site for it :eek:k:

Back