Heater blowing hot.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

The fiesta was making the hearbeat sound that normally means the HCV is on its way out, so being pre-emptive for once i changed it before it went. It was still blowing hot/cold as needed.

Anyway, changed it on sat, as per my guide, and it seemed to be working ok. It was still making the clunk noise, i opened the bonnet and touch the hcv and i could feel it pump every 5 seconds or so. This woprried me as it was a brand new unit but it was working ok.

Yesterday we went for a drive in it and it was stuck on hot. The temp gauge remained steady at under the half way mark, which is where it normally sits.

Sigh. Any ideas? My one theory is the electrical connector to the hcv got coolant on it, and has shorted out a fuse, but would that explain it?

Is the interior light working?
If that fuse blows the heaters are on the same circuit and get stuck on hot.

Failing that.. try the old hcv?

What are the chances of a new hcv going? Pretty slim for it to go within minutes of its first run.

I didnt notice the light as it was day but ill check the next time i get.

So god dam annoying!

Mine has had the 5 second 'pulse' thing for over 2 years and still works fine. I think it's normal.

Update, amanda has checked the fuses and theyre all fine.

So what do we think?

I replied to your original thread with the same thing Dal's said:

Cherie said:
The 'heart-beat' of the HCV is fairly normal, I've had one on the old cuirass since I picked her up, and her heating & cooling works perfectly.

I can remember reading somewhere that the beat you can feel is simply the valves opening and closing, pushing the air through.

It's when the valves seize open or closed that you get a problem. At the moment, the HCV in the Millie is knackered, the tell-tale sign being that when the dials are all the way on cold, it's still blowing warm air through.

Matt, I shouldn't worry about changing it until it actually seizes up on yours if I were you.

Change it back and if that works, check the code on the one you've bought to see if it's one of the dodgy batch, and get a refund either way.

Maybe its the price i pay for buying a cheap one off ebay......

It was from a reputible seller, and it was brand new, though wasnt in the proper ford box. Might end up going to a dealer and paying over the odds.

Threw the old one in the bin too

for the record the ebay seller was 'transitpartsuk'.

You think i should ask for my money back?

Swap the puma and fiesta ones over and see if anything changes?

Always good to try a known working one.

Ive emailed asking for my money back. suppose i could do a swap yeah, never thought of that! Beauty of having two almost identical cars i suppose!

They seem like good sellers, i am thinking its just a dud unit and not them trying to scam me. I await their reply.

Hi Mat
If you send the valve back we will have it tested for you.
Our address is............

Seems fair enough to me. Ill swap it over myself first then send it back.

Latest posts

Back