very hot heater !

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyfreestyler

Hi everyone .
well after a couple of weeks away working I've finally been able to set about my new puma .
(my other post shows the sad demise of my last one ,and the replacement I got )

I've now changed over the suspension and the brakes and a couple of other things ,and she is running and driving GREAT

Except , the heater ! it was blowing and running hot ,so I replaced the hcv and the cooling problem disappeared but it will only
blow hot in the cab , I don't know if the a/c is working cause the heater is so hot .

does any one have any ideas as to what the problem might be ?

thanks for looking and thanks for any help given

Was it replaced with a genuine Ford HCV?
If it was, I would next check the control panel.

I can only echo from above. Never use an aftermarket HCV!!! I have tried a couple over the years and they're rubbish. There is someone on ebay who claims to sell on with upgraded resistors, and maybe its alright, but i would just stick to Ford.

As an alternative viewpoint I'd say I've used Blue Print pattern replacement HCV, it's been in 6 months now and no issues. Much cheaper than Ford OEM but not the cheapest available. I would agree there seem to be some very shonky Chinese unbranded HCVs which should be avoided.

You can check the 2 relays of the speed of fan ... maybe one don't work.
I had this problem in one of my car.
Hope that can be usefull.

thought I'd replied to this !
just to let you know I changed the hcv (again) and hay presto everything works as it should , I di use a good quility one and the shop where happy to swop it for me .
just shows that even new things can be faulty.
thanks for the advise

hi evryone
well I've been away working and not used the car at all really up to today , well I reliesed that the heating is still blowing hot no matter what I do with the dial on the control panel.
so I popped roun the corner and bought one of the resisters for behind the panel and changed that but still blowing hot !
would anyone say that the control panel could be the problem ? and is there a way of checking the hcv ?
thanks for any help

For the HCV I can confirm the cheapest one is rubbish .. I had a heating problem and it was the water pump, the bearing was broken.
To check the HCV i put both in hot water and the one I bought take more time to open.
I have sometime little problem but for me the next solution is the radiator.

On my 206, the engine was heating at more than 110° and after replacing the radiator it was better only 80 on the highway ;)
When you see how it is made you can understand that after 20 years and 230000klm the radiator need to be changed and it is easy to change.

But first check if the 2 speed of the fan works.

The puma is a perfect car, since mine pass the MOT I enjoy and take it as much I can.
Hope you can have this pleasure as well :)

Good luck.

For your question, to check the HCV :
Put it in a pan with water and heat it, it should open around 90°, if not you can change it.

To check the fan :
Around 90° the 1st speed of the fan must be triggered and around 100 105° the 2nd speed will be triggered.
You will listen a relay when the fan will be triggered or by the noise of the fan you can know it.

Sorry for my english, if you don t understand don t hesitate to tell me.

Great advice alex, also be wary of air pockets, so squeeze tubes, make sure the water is topped up before starting etc..

alex171515 said:
For your question, to check the HCV :
Put it in a pan with water and heat it, it should open around 90°, if not you can change it.
You sure you mean the HCV?
The HCV (Heater Control Valve) is attached to the bulkhead:

Do you mean the thermostat?

My observation on the engine temperature and fan operation is as follows:
I wouldn’t rely on the needle moving past the middle of gauge, once the temperature exceeds it’s normal operating temperature of around 87/88°C:
My Puma is a 2001-2, I got the following results using a ScanGauge II:
Starting from cold, heater control set to Max, with no fan speed switched on and car stationary.
- Warmed engine.
- Ran engine at around 2000/2250 rpm.
- Needle had moved to middle of temperature gauge at approximately 87°C.
- Continued with revs, high-speed fan cut in when temperature reached 109/110°C.
- Let revs drop down to tick-over and fan stopped running at 103/104°C.
During this process, the temperature gauge needle remained in the middle position (no movement at all).

Sometime pictures are better than words ... you right I was speaking about the thermostat ...

Latest posts

Back