!Heater problems!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hey,

I'm asking this question for my mum, She has problems with her Puma's heater.

When we bought the car, which is about 6-8 months ago, the heater was working fine on position 1, 2 and 3. It also worked on 4 but it made an awful noise like it was about to take off.. Like a buzzy noise and you could hear it very well in the car and also in the engine bay.

We didn't really looked into it because she normally doesn't use 4, which was in the spring/summer. A week ago she wanted to use position 1/2 to de-mist her windows. It didn't help because nothing was happening.

I looked into it and found out position 4 was the only one working. The other 3 were doing nothing. So I thought maybe the filterhousing is blocked by something. So I tried to take it out which didn't worked about because the A/C piping was in the way (I tried to remove it in one piece, I think it's possible to remove it in 2 pieces). Anyways. I'm stuck. I don't know what the problem is, It might be the heater motor (if there is one) or there might be something wrong with the heater panel.

My mum also said her A/C isn't working. She asked the garage but they say there isn't any gas in the system. Can we trust them and how can we check it if it's working or not?

If you have had any of these problems and are willing to give me advice please help me ;)

Thanks.

The resistor which controls the fan speed is broken that's why you can only get speed 4 as it's the unresisted speed. I don't know where it is in a LHD car but someone may add to this post.
Barry

I guess it must be either in the same place or on the right hand side of the heater. The resistor pack on a right hand drive car is down by the right foot of a passenger screwed into the heater panel with a single screw...

Reading through your post again I would say that even if you renewed the resistor pack it would not last long as it sounds like a fan motor is on it's way out. My Fiesta's the same at the moment, I renewed the resistor pack about 3 months ago and it broke again about a month ago so I'm just living with it using speed 4 now.
Barry

How hard is it to replace the fan motor? It shouldn't be that expensive second handed.
And which resistor pack do I need?
something like this?;
s-l1000.jpg

It was easy on my Fiesta, there were only the electrical connection and 2 torx screws holding it in place but I would imagine the fan motor/s would be more fiddly. If you buy second hand motors they could be damaged, though, and you wouldn't know until you fitted them.
Barry

PS I would only buy the resistor packs from Ford as the ones shown for mine on Ebay were clearly wrong.

We swapped out my resistor pack to try and find out if that's the problem, And it certainly was!
Went to the Ford stealer to buy a new one. Total costs: €45! - A/C is also working like never before! :eek:k:

Thanks Tuonokid and 3dcandy!

Back