Hole in exhaust - best temporary repair?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanwheel

Hi all
I heard a ‘rushing air’ type noise whilst driving this evening, only under hard acceleration. After I parked up I had a look underneath and spotted this hole in my exhaust back box, which I assume must be the reason!

Not too surprised as my garage told me there was a minor exhaust leak a few months back, so i’ll get a new system fitted. But- as my Puma isn’t my daily driver and i’m going to lay it up for the winter end Oct, i’m thinking about waiting till the spring.

I’m a complete novice so just a question for the experts out there - is it worth me patching this up for the next month? Thinking of trying Holts gun gun paste and/or the metal repair tape you can get from Halfords? Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Will

Attachments

• 97B3D9A7-4B24-4581-B01B-F4EF7B8DBB3C.jpeg
    97B3D9A7-4B24-4581-B01B-F4EF7B8DBB3C.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 60
Hi there.
Seeing as you're only requiring a short term repair then the tape will more than likely do the trick. :grin:
The paste is a rather messy affair and not really worth the hassle(in my opinion),and the tape will probably be cheaper.
When you come to change your exhaust system it's worth checking out your local Ford parts dept,I fitted a full genuine ford exhaust to my black puma last year for little more than a good quality aftermarket system and being genuine it fitted perfectly!!

Tape should be fine. Take the spare wheel and tray off. Squirt some WD40 on the rubber hangers then slide them off the 'zorst, then drop the exhaust onto the rear beam to get better access around the silencer.

As for replacement exhaust systems - I've fitted a Hoffman system. The back box is about £35 and the centre pipe (which deletes centre silencer) is about £30. Although it is not advertised as such, I have a feeling it might be stainless, judging by the way it hasn't rusted at all in the time I've had it fitted.

Latest posts

Back