How do you know when your 'bushes' need replacing?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinster

I always wanted to know this, is there any way to tell apart from a visual inspection?

Would a puma on 60,000 miles need new bushes?

60,000 is a good mileage to get to on originals. You might notice the odd "clonk" especially from the rear ones and the front lower ones on the wishbone as they go 1st. A visual inspection will show which ones are buggered quite easily as the centre will move alot compared to how it should.
It'll be more noticable in the handling - after mine were done it was far more stable at high speed cornering. Felt like it had a new set of shock / springs fitted tbh.

Bush1.jpg

Thats the rear bush. The central metal sleeve moved all over the place where it should have been almost solid. That's why the handling improves from "sponge like" to "firm and assured"

New Rear powerflex bush in place:
Rearpowerflexbush.jpg

Thanks. No clonking yet on mine and suspension still feels quite tight. I've bought the bushes but will probably wait until a visual inspection or otherwise suggests it's time to replace.

My bushes have arrived, gosh, it's a lot of money for so many small objects!

Anyway, how many hours labour should I be prepared to pay the garage to replace the full set of bushes (8 in total)?

I'd guess around 3-4 hours, might be slightly less if all the bolts come out easily (which is highly unlikely!)

Luckily my local ford garage is a country garage and doesn't charge the silly prices that the city garages charge, so hopefully won't break the bank too much!

Tight bushes are a necessity for a well kept puss......

Hang on, I can see where this is going!

:funny:

Back