How i fixed my key

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fil2eFly

Was surfing ebay today and people are offering Key refurbs for £10 and i thought it was a bit of a rip off for a 10 min job.

When i first got my car one of the buttons did nothing. So took my key apart and the solder had broken on the board, 2 mins with a soldering iron and the button was workin again. It would seem this is a common problem. If any one is having the problem i can take some pics to show what i did to fix it.

EDIT: What to do with pics! (Wow macro shots of my fingers are gross)

Right here we go.

Start by spliting the key in two using a screw driver, knike or a spoon for those not trusted with sharp things, arrow shows where to use pointy thing:

Split key:

Now take the bit without the actual key on it and you will see it has two clips, gently with your pointy instument push the clips to the side and you should be able to split the unit into two bits.

Now you have two bits, one with the battery and one with a board:

What you need to do now is to remove the board, first take off the little plastic brace thing. Its hend down by two melted stalks. being very gentle with your pointy instrument apply presure neer the point where its held, it should come off prity easy:

Now remove the board, apply a little pressure around the edges and it should pop out:

Right now for the fixing bit. On the underside of the board are three little buttons. Kind of hard to see in the pics but they are held down by two little solderd arms at each end, these little arms and bent up so very little solder holds them on.

One of my buttons had fallen off and was ratteling around inside the key. I flatend out the solder on the contact patches, i then flatend out the little arms on the button. Finaly placed the button on the board and heated the little arm with the iron untill the contact patch and arm where bonded, used a little extra solder just to be sure.

In the images below there are several coloured arrows, The YELLOW one shows the parts i fixed, the RED shows the untouched little arms, all bent up.

pumapilot said:
It only fixes it until it breaks somewhere else.

you just cant help people sometimes :roll:

whats the point in changing your tyres, they'll only wear out again in a few k
why wash the car when it will be dirty again by the end of the week.
and whats the point in putting petrol in if your only going to go and burn it all any way! :twisted:

[rant over]

Back