How To: Fitting Coilovers (Applies to mostly all suspension)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right!!...where's Chris???

Me and him have some coilovers to put on.....pretty please ;)

I feel like a trip to Loughborough coming on, then I can take a very long test drive back via the scenic route to test and adjust them as I go ;)

You up for it Chris ;) Refreshments and snacks on me ;)

You can do another one when we fit my Weitecs so the site has 2 types of coilover guides, I'll take the photo's while you get dirty.....only jesting ;)

Cheers for giving me a hand, nice chatting and look forward to the trip down and even more so the trip back.....if it's not too harsh.

Noticed that the coilovers have markings on them that say 30-200 on the rears and 50-140 on the fronts....can't be the drop measurements as I'd be scraping my arse along the motorway if I went the full drop...lol

did we ever get a definitive order to what the backs assemble as? i will be replacing rear top mounts soon so can get pics then

ScubaSteve said:
yeah the weights with top cups underneath are the old style the newer style ones have the top cup and the weight all in one, and leave plenty of room for the thread

Need help I'm new here today and hope you can help on above topic.

I have weitec coilovers. Back have fitted okay. The fronts don't seem to show much thread if I use the top weights.

Can I get rid of the top weight and not use it altogether, if so what effect will it have??? What's the purpose of top weights?

By not using the top weights is it safe then just to use the retaining plate on top with a bolt?

Or is it best to use top weights with half a nut?

I hope you can help.

I don't have the top cup plate guys, is there a part number so I can order from ford or does it come with the weights under one part number such as 1150967, therefore I can just bin the weights and just use the top cup plate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as ford not to helpful today. Thanks.

TOP TIP: Spray the coilover threads with Motorcycle Chain Wax.

It is a much better option than Copperslip, road dirt doesn't stick to the chain wax keeping the threads protected and slippery.

Back