How to stop spiders...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yippee, your great great grandaddy might open a can of whoopass on you for leaving that can of toxic crap on the mantlepiece and toe bunting him with your winkle pickers tho, respect for your elders n all that jazz lol.

I have had bats. Really sweet - they were roosting in the curtains and by the beams in the lounge.
Went to draw the curtains to find a couple hanging there...squeaking... :) Had to leave window open all night for them..so cute.

Saying that a bat ffwwapped into my windscreen once and caused me to skid a 360 on wet leaves. I was ok but the poor begger was abit dazed and died when I peeled him off.

Anyhoo...Spiders, 3 last night, and found one this morning in my bath robe...oh good foook...yes screamed!

I found a different one this morning (4am). It was climbing up my front door and was one of those with a huge body but tiny little legs. No matter, it still got the oven cleaner treatment and I watched as it struggled and took it's last breath before moving on to some other reincarnation ;)

I am surprised you don't just systematically pull their legs off, Yip - that could add to your pleasure and enhance the experience...

Conkers. Its an old wives tale but has worked this year.

They need to be fresh ones though. Which means in September when the spiders start, you have to wait a couple of weeks for Conkers. Peel em and put em in your doorways/ chimneys.

Dont ask me why, we have an office phobia and it seems to be working!

Worth a read (it's short): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6255510/Spiders-v-conkers-are-arachnids-really-scared-of-horse-chestnuts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iirc the Royal Society of Chemistry gave £300 to a (primary) school that came up with the best suggestion as to how valid scientific evidence could be collected to prove/disprove the conker theory

Personally I like spiders... they keep the flies down, and are adapted to be very, very good at what they do. Spider silk is an absolute marvel.

I take it this wouldn't be a good thread to post any of my spider pictures in... ? Have a rather good, close-up, one of a wasp being wrapped and eaten (though sucked is probably more accurate) outside my kitchen window..

BenF said:
cool - I'd love to see them!

I think a couple were put in the Photography section in a thread Dal started - pictures from his garden or some such.

EDIT:- link to pic thread (DO NOT click if you are an arachnophobia sufferer!)

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=4197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i have some MASSIVE ones in my house....i found one under my mattress and i swear to god he looked at me as if to say 'what?'!!!!!!!!

dont want to get too naturalist or buddhist but if you kill a spider you do actually have a pyschological issue and should get help; they do no harm, they actually deserve there bit of mother earth far more than any greedy breeding human.

were the intelligent ones, there a natural creature living in balance. yes they get in the way but.....il happily let one the size of a fist run up and down the side of my bed if i cant be arsed to catch it....but if i see a cat crapping in my garden il shoot the little fucker! just cos some kid wants a a fluffy barely domesticated animal whos trying to claim my garden as its teritory...i think not!

its not opinion; spiders do a job, cats dont. theres not enough spiders and theres not enough bees (if the bees die out so does ALL life on earth within three years)...if i shoot all the cats....er....we have more birds!!!!

if its not making a web leave it alone...youv got thousands of them living in the wall and under the floor (some of them older than your house!!! so dont think they dont belong there!!!) and if it comes out for a look around it will go back. if it makes a web brush the web away, the spider will move on after youv destroyed the web a few times....

ps i dont 'like' spiders, would never pick one up, i just respect there right to be here, there harmless. if i kill a spider i feel just as bad as running a bird over

Have always laughed myself silly at this video-clip... so thought I would upload and try to share:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v321/expatscot/?action=view&current=TheWoodSpider_1.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it does involve some footage of spiders, but not close up.. and in a rather comic way.

spectre17 said:
Conkers. Its an old wives tale but has worked this year.

They need to be fresh ones though. Which means in September when the spiders start, you have to wait a couple of weeks for Conkers. Peel em and put em in your doorways/ chimneys.

Dont ask me why, we have an office phobia and it seems to be working!

I was gonna suggest conkers too :)

Back