I see #296 has moved on

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

Luckily I didn't see he was for sale or I'd have been very tempted, despite the fact we have run out of drive space and are in the middle of moving on Mrs XIIVVX's rather nice Megane Coupe to replace it with another commuter-mobile.

I'm rather hoping the new owner of the little mongrel turns up on here. I like to keep track of one of the best motors I have ever had stewardship of.

"Hi" to all who know me. :grin:

"Hi" to all who don't. :cool:

XIIVVX

Hi Rob, it was on for a pretty good price in comparison to most for sale currently! More than you sold it for though I imagine!

I was also tempted by it also :twisted: fortunately or not I have far too many outgoings!

So not dissimilar then probably. I think it was advertised for £5.5k and it wasn't up for long.

I am the very latest custodian of #296/154 XIIVVX/X482KAV AKA the Mongrel it is in good nick just bought it I need to replace the thermostat, extend the cigarette lighter cable so I can use satnav, don't worry I'm a non smoker. I'm going to carefully fit Mudflaps with clamps no holes, considering full under body treatment to protect it. Joyous little car, turns heads, great drive. Love it, it will live alongside a blue 1993 Granada Cosworth in full RS kit AKA the Cossie Monster. I'm not going to say how much I paid for it but it was affordable and still low mileage.

You can ignore my question in the other thread if you like since it's kind of answered here :)

I was very tempted when I saw it for sale and so close to me, too !

red said:
[post]367636[/post] Welcome to the site N1X

Hi, sorry I keep losing my login details so have had to register yet again. I have been a member previously and owner of Pumas for many years.

N1X said:
[post]367632[/post] I was very tempted when I saw it for sale and so close to me, too !

Very sorry about that without seeing it in person, I'd been keeping an eye on it, another guy was about to see it and after a few emails and calls I decided to gamble, put down a deposit and buy it. I bought it, it was one of the most affordable ones because of a colourful past; it was written off and repaired 15 years ago and still has the scars after surviving that, a previous owner decided to strip it to a bare shell and flog all the bits then a Rally School owner decided to bring it back from the dead a 2nd time by rebuilding it again this story of survival chimes with things in my own life so I kind of like it more because of that. Was I crazy buying it yes, was it the right decision definitely 100% ! :grin:

The roads are crap and this car communicates the road to you in braille form, for every tiny bump, if you go over something really rough you go :? is it still in one piece? Yes it is and then you move on, it is delightful and quick and will be amazing around the B Roads up here I just have to avoid potholes more carefully oh and anything with a rough and inconsistent texture like um a typical British Road.

It is a "drivers car" which is a completely meaningless phrase until you actually drive a "drivers car" where the seats hug you tightly and the car responds precisely to your actions and communicates so much feel back to you. My 2005 Golf 1.4 drove well, albeit a bit slower and all the stuff between the driver and the road had a bit of insulation between it, the problem gets worse on newer cars, how ever funky they look or how ever many gadgets they can boast it is all designed to distract you from a very sanitised and detached driving experience they offer, you still steer, use the pedals and gears but modern cars are constantly deciding stuff for you and limiting your experience and overall control. A Racing Puma is unfiltered, raw and just tells it how it is with no sugar coating. :wink:

The Golf has a 2 shades of grey interior, back in 2003 VW were thinking of ideas for the seat fabric and found their most boring Wolfsburg Accountant and stole his most boring suit to upholster the interior with, which is exceptionally, record breakingly and prolific in it's dullness. :| The Racing Puma on the other hand is silly, lurid and flamboyant inside I love the ridiculousness of the interior and wide arches it just brightens a day.

Non car fans don't understand why people like cars because most cars are really boring, what makes a car fun is 1000s of tiny details noises textures sounds and sensations a car can deliver. For a brief time I drove a Peugeot 107 yes it's cute and also has it's fans and fanclub but it was so painfully slow, had the handling characteristics of an empty packet of crisps when presented with a light breeze and so hatefully cheap and nasty inside for a period the car maniac in me started to die, the 107 is the car that came close to making me hate cars :-( . If anyone ever wishes to cure their love of cars buy a 107 it will depress you so much, cars will just make you sad and you can spend your money on other things like...... er overpriced coffee and um....public transport?

The Racing Puma is daft, absurd, it's a pair of brightly coloured running shoes in a world of sensible brown shoes and sometimes life needs a bit of silliness, flamboyance and absence of practicality! All the reasons you should never want a car like this is exactly why you do! :wink:

Ex-owner here. The one who sold it to the twat that parted it out and never really forgave myself. How is it looking now?

If I owned a FRP I don't think I'd ever be able to sell it. I'd keep it in a garage with no leaks and low humidity. And drive it every dry and sunny day to keep everything moving freely. Cars hate sitting around for long periods of time.

I have a lot of sympathy for that, but at the time needs must. We had ailing rellies 200 miles distant and we needed a motorway cruiser.

Bought a 2.0D X-Type Jaguar at 113,000 and ran it to 260,000 at which point it was killed by a deer.

Then a 2.7V6D S-Type Jaguar that I bought at about 120,000 and sold at 165,000

Then in a moment of insanity an S-Type V8R - the full 400bhp supercharged one. :roll:

Spending a lot of money putting it right.

Also for those who remember her, Hi from Sarah J in Shrewsbury, still a good friend after all these years (and driving a BMW Mini)

X11VVX

Thanks, it's good having a quick scan through what's going on.

Pumas are becoming a rare sight on the UK roads these days. I always smile when I see one, and they still look better than 95% of current cars.

I previously had #296. Rough round the edges but was perfect where it counted and i was using it as a daily for a while.Felt like a right mug for letting it go but needs was must back then.

To cheer myself up i've this week put a deposit down on #222. :grin:

Latest posts

Back