Introducing Rouge One

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snips11

Hi Puma Friends,

Greetings from the West Midlands. Meet Rouge One (1999, 1.7, 103k miles), my husband, Chris's, car. He loved driving it, I loved being driven around in it! He'd bip the horn at other Pumas or if we saw one in a car park he would go park next to it.

Sadly, Chris passed away from cancer in November, 2022, so young, just 52, and I inherited Rouge One. I didn't have a driving license, we didn't have a garage and the car was sitting and sitting, getting so damp. There was an epic battle to keep the Pumster dry inside and engine running whilst not being allowed to drive nor get insurance until I passed my driving test, finally, in November, 2023.

So much went down, including a few miracles, to get street legal. The result is that I just went on a two week holiday in South Wales with my sister and drove the Puma hundreds of miles including some challenging terrain (I got stuck in a mud puddle at one point while reversing downhill around a curve with a steep drop on one side to get to a passing place and a stressful sat nav fail in Swansea in 5pm traffic) but we had an ace holiday and got home safely!

I haven't seen any other original Pumas on the road nor in a car park yet. I would definitely bip the horn in passing or park next to one if I saw one. I even parked next to a new one the other day and felt superior. They probably didn't even notice or know there was an old Puma parked next to them.

Here are a few pics -- Rouge One on holiday at Llanthony Priory and Pentre Ifan (behind that hedge is a 5000 year old neolithic burial chamber) and a selfie at Porthgain (taken by Dastardly Dog!).

I have a list of upcoming work for another post... wheel wells, paint job is peeling and fading, headlight seals, clutch... and today some white smoke was coming out of the engine! Never a dull moment.

Thank you to anyone who reads this far and leaves a comment! I would love to meet up with other Pumas at a vintage car rally in the West Midlands or surrounds. I read about one in Oxfordshire I think in another topic on this forum on car shows or meet ups. I will find that topic and post there, too.

Peace and safe journey all,
Kathryn (snips11)
ps final photo the side by side comparison -- no contest!!

Attachments

• 1-puma-llanthony.jpeg
    1-puma-llanthony.jpeg
    451.4 KB
  • 2-puma-pentre-ifan.jpeg
    2-puma-pentre-ifan.jpeg
    538 KB
  • 3-puma-dd-porthgain.jpg
    3-puma-dd-porthgain.jpg
    1.5 MB
  • 4-two-pumas.jpg
    4-two-pumas.jpg
    3.4 MB
I am sorry for your loss, you do well to keep his soul alive by keeping his passion going. <3

Nice car, Enjoy your time driving it.
Sorry to hear of your loss, it must have been very difficult for you.
Well done in keeping the Puma alive and passing your test. I have been to Porthgain in a Puma many times in the last few years (The Shed does lovely cake and coffee) and we were at Pentre Ifan with a Puma last September.
We have 3 holidays in Wales every year, always with a Puma and I don't recall ever seeing another one.
Regarding Shows and Meets, we attend a lot in the north Oxfordshire/Warwickshire area, I try to publicise them as much as possible. The Gaydon Gatherings are very good and are on the second Tuesday of the month from April until October. Also we have the Old Ford rally in July, for which I'm trying to get as many Puma's as possible to attend.
If you want more information, then just message me

Hi Puma Friends,

Greetings from the West Midlands. Meet Rouge One (1999, 1.7, 103k miles), my husband, Chris's, car. He loved driving it, I loved being driven around in it! He'd bip the horn at other Pumas or if we saw one in a car park he would go park next to it.

Sadly, Chris passed away from cancer in November, 2022, so young, just 52, and I inherited Rouge One. I didn't have a driving license, we didn't have a garage and the car was sitting and sitting, getting so damp. There was an epic battle to keep the Pumster dry inside and engine running whilst not being allowed to drive nor get insurance until I passed my driving test, finally, in November, 2023.

So much went down, including a few miracles, to get street legal. The result is that I just went on a two week holiday in South Wales with my sister and drove the Puma hundreds of miles including some challenging terrain (I got stuck in a mud puddle at one point while reversing downhill around a curve with a steep drop on one side to get to a passing place and a stressful sat nav fail in Swansea in 5pm traffic) but we had an ace holiday and got home safely!

I haven't seen any other original Pumas on the road nor in a car park yet. I would definitely bip the horn in passing or park next to one if I saw one. I even parked next to a new one the other day and felt superior. They probably didn't even notice or know there was an old Puma parked next to them.

Here are a few pics -- Rouge One on holiday at Llanthony Priory and Pentre Ifan (behind that hedge is a 5000 year old neolithic burial chamber) and a selfie at Porthgain (taken by Dastardly Dog!).

I have a list of upcoming work for another post... wheel wells, paint job is peeling and fading, headlight seals, clutch... and today some white smoke was coming out of the engine! Never a dull moment.

Thank you to anyone who reads this far and leaves a comment! I would love to meet up with other Pumas at a vintage car rally in the West Midlands or surrounds. I read about one in Oxfordshire I think in another topic on this forum on car shows or meet ups. I will find that topic and post there, too.

Kathryn (snips11)
Hello, so sorry, to hear of your loss, but congratulations on what you have achieved since, - what a story! I only joined the Puma Forum today, but a number of Puma owners have already been in touch. Amazing. See you at a show sometime.

Hi Puma Friends,

Kathryn (snips11)
well done for keeping going

John W is very reliable for things so hopefully we will meet up at some stage... have health issues but occassionally up Oxon way

Bravo Kathryn,

Sorry to hear of your loss Kathryn, it is a terrible disease and such a young age to lose him.

I`m on my second Puma, bust must admit they`re all getting older now and some bits are scarce, but great cars to drive,

Carl

I am so sorry yo hear of your loss. That must have been very hard for you.
It is great that you have kept the Puma and are now having adventures in it. I think your Chris would be proud.
I have a few holes in my Puma and it went mouldy a few years ago when I wasn't so well.
I have patched it with some duct tape for now, mine is silver so it looks like a plaster and always keep one if those condensation absorbing thingies in her to stop her going mouldy again. About to start a restoration session. Starting with the cambelt, then welding!
I have been and will go again to the meets in Oxfordshire and Gaydon but will have to fit them round garage sessions this year. Hope to catch up at a meet.

Yes, thank you @Pumaholic !

Hi, @John Woodward , thank you. I'm going to the Old Ford Rally on the 21st! We loved Porthgain! The only really difficult driving for me in Wales was getting to the crooked church in Cwmyoy. Would not drive there again. Great advice to enjoy driving the Puminator as long as I can.

Thank you @Hotfuz ! DD!!!

Thank you and welcome @Kenzo K ! Maybe on the 21st?

Hi @johnw272 , hope you are feeling alright, if you are going to the Old Ford Rally on 21st July, I'd like to meet you, too.

Hi @Mukamika , yes, I'm always afraid if my wing mirror were clipped off or need a part, what would I do? I needed a new rocker gasket last summer and Ford no longer makes them but we got an after market part. It's leaking again already but not affecting the engine. (see update below)

Hi and thank you, @Cubatoo , I felt Chris with us on holiday, it would not have been the same in a rental car. I got some Aero dehumidifiers that drip out the blue water and they really helped last winter!!

Hi @gingerdave , I will keep on the lookout for you! :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hope to meet some of you at the Old Ford Rally on 21 July in Gaydon. I will look for that thread and post in it.

Follow up on the smoke, my latest trial, determined to be from an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust manifold, probably the after market rocker gasket leaking already. Checking the oil regularly but have not had to top up.

Cheers all!
:)
Kathryn

Yes, thank you @Pumaholic !

Hi, @John Woodward , thank you. I'm going to the Old Ford Rally on the 21st! We loved Porthgain! The only really difficult driving for me in Wales was getting to the crooked church in Cwmyoy. Would not drive there again. Great advice to enjoy driving the Puminator as long as I can.

Thank you @Hotfuz ! DD!!!

Thank you and welcome @Kenzo K ! Maybe on the 21st?

Hi @johnw272 , hope you are feeling alright, if you are going to the Old Ford Rally on 21st July, I'd like to meet you, too.

Hi @Mukamika , yes, I'm always afraid if my wing mirror were clipped off or need a part, what would I do? I needed a new rocker gasket last summer and Ford no longer makes them but we got an after market part. It's leaking again already but not affecting the engine. (see update below)

Hi and thank you, @Cubatoo , I felt Chris with us on holiday, it would not have been the same in a rental car. I got some Aero dehumidifiers that drip out the blue water and they really helped last winter!!

Hi @gingerdave , I will keep on the lookout for you! :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hope to meet some of you at the Old Ford Rally on 21 July in Gaydon. I will look for that thread and post in it.

Follow up on the smoke, my latest trial, determined to be from an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust manifold, probably the after market rocker gasket leaking already. Checking the oil regularly but have not had to top up.

Cheers all!
:)
Kathryn
Be great to see you at Gaydon for the Old Ford rally.
I used an Elring cam cover gasket when I had the Thunder, as oil was filling up around the spark plugs. I spent a lot of time cleaning the 2 surfaces and used the old school trick of using petroleum jelly to hold the gasket into place, tightened the bolts to the correct torque and checked the torque again after 100 miles or so and it didn't leak. Ford never manufactured the gaskets, they would have had them made and Elring was recommended by Chris @ Allison Automotive.

Latest posts

Back