is it worth it?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordy86

Hi I currently own a 2000 ford focus 1.8zetec and been offered a swop for a puma 1.7. What are these cars like I've never been in one

Cheers
Phil

Nah mate I wouldn't bother, we all hate them, they're really over rated.......
That's why were all members of the best Puma forum on the net!
LOL :)
(Well what kind of reply did you expect on a Puma site? LOL)

I'd have the Puma, unless you need to move large boxes, have 3 kids, need a tow bar, need to get a pram in the boot etc

I would say it depends what you use your car for! The focus is probably much more practical, better for a family etc.

For everything else a Puma comes up trumps.....but.

..also you need to consider the condition of the two cars to decide if a swap is the right thing since you could be swapping something reliable for a right old shed.

red said:
..also you need to consider the condition of the two cars to decide if a swap is the right thing since you could be swapping something reliable for a right old shed.

My thoughts exactly. If it's a good puma I'd say you were on a winner, there is a buyers guide on here give you some idea of the key things to look for, really wished I had seen and used this before getting mine! Don't be afraid to walk away cos there are lots and lots of puma's out there if you decide you like the car in general but just not 'this' puma
Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

I sold my old puma for a 2.0 focus a while back, compared to the Puma it was definitely just as capable (I think maybe even more so), but it wasn't as fun to drive, not by a long way really. The Puma is a car you decide to drive past your house when you get home, because you want to keep on driving, and look for any excuse to go out in it. Maybe its just me but I didn't really get that from the focus. I have another Puma now though :)

without wishing to start a fight, I'd suggest that getting a car on colour, looks or recommendation without actually driving it is never a good idea

test drive the puma and then get one!

I'm going to see it the weekend, the only thing that goes in my boot is a subwoofer as we have a megane estate diesel as the family car. I gave up my Kawasaki zx9r superbike for the focus and regretted it every day since! I'm hoping something more fun to drive will stop me wanting 2 wheels again.. who knows! I'd need the puma to have a car seat in the back for my son I don't mind having a 3 door but is there much room? And with a slightly smaller engine I hope better mpg... I've never filled up to see what I get to a tank but all I can say is in the focus it's shit think I did 140 mile to 30quid....

fordy86 said:
... I've never filled up to see what I get to a tank but all I can say is in the focus it's shit think I did 140 mile to 30quid....
...then theres something wrong with your Focus....or your driving! :grin: LOL.
that works out about 28mpg which is the same as I get out my Vecta....but it's a 3.2 and I don't exactly treat it gently :wink:

Just one drive usually does the trick,for the money,you`ll struggle to beat a 1.7 Puma.

This one would!
53E331A6-B936-4B4E-A965-E9D1D0165C22-1700-0000020B45C238A5.jpg

I have two kids seats in the back of mine, can also fit a pushchair in the boot. Mines not the main family car though, seats only really used to take them to nursery.

Back