Jacko's most prejudiced hate.....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

no its not the mindless, selfish, thick morons who effectively turn every motorway into a dual carriageway and send us backwards by 60 years by cruising in the middle lane....

its rusted f*&^&*$% t&(^*(%($ a&^*)(_&))_ bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

came to change the rotors on my hispec discs.....nuts are blobs of iron oxide...useless!!! car will be stripped tonight, rotors taken to work and nuts that do not surrender will be attacked with an angle grinder.... :)

done my research...steel bolts, grade 8.8....easily replaced with stainless (or titanium!!! £400!!!) for less than £15....needless to say theyv been ordered. took a bloody long time to find metal locking stainless nuts tho!

I WIN!!!!! lol

You sure 8.8 is good enough for what you want?

An M12 8.8 bolt recommended tightening torque is only 98 Nm (@85% proof load)

careful with stainless bolts for two reasons jacko. firstly, dissimilar metal corrosion. if this happens and the stainless picks up you will be knackered. (you're fine of course if you threading into a stainless nut) and secondly stainless bolts arent structurally as sound as you may think in some applications. under cyclic loads, fatigue can knacker stainless where mild steel may well have sufficed.

use stainless on all the bits that need to be pretty though :cool:

ooo! 12.9 stainless!!! got any m6 x 20mm socket caps? i need 20!

reading on tastynuts.com that titanium or stainless replacement bolts must not be used above steel 8.8

dal; yeh the bolts i have from hispec for the rotors are 8.8, 11nm.

luke...yep theyl try and stick to the ali bell but plenty of copper grease and a smack when undoing should see me right...the steel ones corrode to the ali anyway...

Need any M8 Nylon top hat washers???. Might be able to 'aquire' some as I did a job in Wales last November and there may be some lying around as they were used when bolting St.Steel bolts through mild. Not sure when I'm next at the clients head office but I'll try to remember to look when I'm there. Always come in handy for me if I manage to get some - dunno what, but for something, lol, so worth me having a look and I could always keep a few back for when I see you - could be a while though....lol.

sorry. 12.9 are mild. all the 8.8, 10.9, 12.9 designations are mild as stainless bolts are graded differently (a1-a5 (autensitic) and c1-c5? (martensitic))

the majority of my stainless xox's are A2 as i rarely need more than this and they get expensive quickly.

will have a root around for m6x20 socket caps jacko and let you know.

let me know what you can get them for and ill see what i can do for ya dude :cool:

usually get from my local bolt place, prob a fiver...but got some on ebay even cheaper..

i use a2 mainly. pretty much everywhere bar rear hub carrier bolts.

always buy more than i need....got 2 compartment boxes full of spares!!! some have been custom made from larger bolts like the pinch bolt in front hub carrier...

thats the thing..... in theory it should be fine....but in practice i just dont know if im that brave!!!!

iv got the stainless locking nuts so that will halt the corrosion issues iv had problems with....

the odd bolt is a bit 'worn' so may replace them with stainless, maybe...!

i really should use the stainless but....er! i have used them on the suspension and thats fine, may well shear a bit easier if i crashed but under normal day to day (jackos days!) driving there fine. only place i wont gamble is rear hub carrier to swingarm and probably rotors...

hmm so maybe i shouldnt have them holding my engine in, my gearbox to the engine, my lower arms on....er!

didnt put them on the rotors....not sure if im brave enough and they didnt turn up in time!

Back