jerky performance at lower speeds

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plezz

Hello all, as i'm an absolute newcomer to the puma world, I've noticed mine behaves a little peculiarly when im slowing down and am worried it could be something expensive.

this happens in most gears but i've noticed it most in 3rd...

when i'm in 3rd gear and my speed drops to about 25mph (cant remember the revs) it starts to jerk as if the engine is about to stall, by the time my speed gets to about 20mph the car jerks like mad and i have to either go down to 2nd, or put some throttle on and it seems to run smoother again.

it may sound silly but my focus would easily handle 15-20mph in third gear without any jerking or seeming like it was about to stall (not that i drive around in 3rd at that speed!)

i heard somewhere it could be the MAF(?) as it was similar to something someone else was experiencing, but i didnt get an answer from them if that was the actual case.

does anyone have any ideas what this might be, or has had the same sort of problem?

thanks guys,

Plezz

You could try cleaning the MAF, it's been known to cause similar symptoms, you could take yours off and see if the sensor wires are dirty or not.

From memory the O2 sensors could also cause symptoms like this but since that's more expensive to check i'd try the MAF.. when was the last time the car was serviced? Is the air filter clean?

:grin: hi and welcome to the puma madhouse someone on here (can't think of the name) uses carb cleaner to clean the MAF (take out the MAF clean with carb cleaner wipe down then put the MAF back then take of -battery lead wait 20 mins to reset the ecu) and put the lead back on then start the car hope it should work.... :) :) best of luck

best thing to do is remove battery lead then remove the maf,clean it,refit it and that should take about 30 mins which is how long the battery needs to be disconnected so as to reset the ecu :grin:

hey all, thanks for all your replies as always :grin:

i'll probably take a look at that when i can get a day off work, i've got frightfest this weekend so i'll be shattered by the time i get home!

although, i do have one question before i take the battery out.... I've got a clifford immobiliser on the car (intelliguard 950 i think).

will taking the battery out cause any issues with that? i dont want to have to get someone out to reprogramme it as i know s*d all about immobilisers.

I had a similar problem a while ago. The symptom was jerky behaviour when coming off the accelerator at speeds less than 30, whilst the clutch was also up (I.e. My foot wasn't pressing it)

Turned out to be the little sensor switch located above the clutch had come loose.

Try looking close up at your clutch pedal and pressing it with your hand. You see that switch above the clutch? Is the switch bit moving properly with the clutch? It looks like it is spring loaded.

Glad I read this thread! My Puma has been doing this since I got him (one week today!) and we assumed it was the engine mount. I've just gone outside to try and check this switch, and couldn't for the life of me find it, til my hubby chased a wire and found it tucked at the back of the plastic trim near the pedals! So yeah, that hasn't been working!!! Just placed it back where it should be, and problem solved! That's saved me an engine mount!

Just wondered if there would be any reason for someone 'hiding' such a switch?

Oh and re the Clifford, I have a Concept 500 and changed the car battery - only thing that happened was the alarm went off when it was reconnected, so have the big button handy!!

Jerky Performance at on load (acceleration) could also be the coil pack.

Hi, my first real post on the forum, ive come into possession of a millennium puma that is DOING EXACTLY the same thing, I cant find a sensor above the clutch, however I did find alittle switch thing which someone had tucked up above the brake, tracing this back its connected to another switch above the brake, picture is below of what it looks like, however I cant get it back in its place, and I cant understand how this little switch is making the car jerk under 30mph so much?

Thanks in advance guys.

2zxrrlc.jpg

right ive managed to get it back in but my mrs has took the keys when she left me giveing it a hoover so i cant try it yet! cant wait for her to get back!

Fellowsuk said:
right ive managed to get it back in but my mrs has took the keys when she left me giveing it a hoover so i cant try it yet! cant wait for her to get back!
Hi
Did you manage to drive it?
was it any better?
I have the same problem as your having and looking for a fix to this annoying problem
Regards
Neil.

Still haven't drove it, at bescott Market freezing to death at the moment. Gonna try it in an hour or 2 when get back, however it does look like th picture u took yog, thanks for that.

Just taken the car out n I can confirm it's fixed the juddering problem!!! Even seemed to start better?!? I'm so chuffed! Thanks guys! Only fixed threw the information on here!!!

Had the same problem as discribed, have replaced coil pack spark plugs, ht leads, abs sensors.
this weekend brought new drive shaft with bearings and cv joints all trying to fix problem, untill read this post, The switch above clutch was the cause i carnt belive such a little switch has caused me so much trouble, but note to all check that switch, many thanks to guy who posted fix.

Latest posts

Back