Just fitted new FRP gearbox with LSD & Focus Clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja_alex

Saturday, i finally got around to doing my own car! I had purchased a new LSD gearbox a while ago that has been sat alongside the car in the workshop for a few weeks now. Car was put on the ramp and the first bits removed:
SAM_0421.jpg

The the car was stripped of all necessary parts and the box removed...
SAM_0423.jpg

While I was in there, I had decided I would put a Focus clutch in and a new CSC. After removing the old clutch, it had obviously been slipping and had caused some bad heat spots on the flywheel, also the flywheel was not very flat, so it was removed and put onto the lathe where I skimmed it flat and made sure the machined area was large enough to take the larger clutch:
SAM_0426.jpg

SAM_0427.jpg

Then it was cleaned and refitted to the engine:
SAM_0429.jpg

Then the larger 220mm Focus clutch fitted:
SAM_0430.jpg

Ummm.... new gearbox:
SAM_0428.jpg

The the car was reassembled, filled with new gearbox oil and the clutch bled....

Well, what can be said, the car feels 100 times better, engages gear better, smoother and puts the power down so much better! Glad we have some nice weather at the moment to enjoy it!

Next up the hidden Nitrous install into the new machined Mondeo throttle body and a few more tweaks!

Alex

Awesome mate. Il be getting my LSD box fitted soon. Tell us more on the nitrous install dude

just dont buy second hand...too many muppets selling ford bits. iv seen so many boxes for sale with a quife diff in when you can actually see there isnt it isnt funny

Weren't Ford selling them all off quite cheaply recently?

Blimey! You'd have thought they'd have been all over ebay as you say!

Wasn't Alan from Pumabuild was it? He seems to get hold of all the stock... :lol:

Damn, that is some moneys worth! Of course there isn't anything obvious on the diff that says what it is, or the application.

Managed to get mine for a very reasonable price from ncc. Thanks to Eldood. I was extremely lucky though. I still have my old gearbox with LSD fitted which I'm thinking of stripping to get the LSD out of if no one wants it hole?

they are good but for what its worth i still rate the quaife diff. the lsd ford fitted is ok but iv had one and its only half way, if that, to a quaife. tight corners or roundabouts still feel like the nose wants to push wide because of the nature of its construction...it limits the slip of the inner wheel, but its still fairly useless. the quaife puts power to the wheel with the most grip...and literally shoves the nose into the corner. they do seem to need a month or so to stop being twitchy tho!!!! and i suppose some people would find it really weird giving the car a bootful and it pulling into the bend...kinda opposite what your experience tells you!

its not the best out there but anything set up up to be better is a sod to drive at low speeds, ie parking, due to its track nature

Back