leak in gearbox ????????

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at the pics it looks like jacko could be right when he said about the seal on driveshaft,i would check that area 1st,as if it was leaking it would leak down the casing

STEAVIE said:
heres the pics!

25062010329.jpg

hope they help!
Thanks a bunch.
Do you know if this is a core plug. thats about the height of my leak

wouldnt like to say im back in work monday so will double check for you! on the bright side this gearbox could be for sale! :p

STEAVIE said:
wouldnt like to say im back in work monday so will double check for you! on the bright side this gearbox could be for sale! :p
Ha ha Whats the P&P from Loughton to Donegal

martinthrapston said:
looking at the pics it looks like jacko could be right when he said about the seal on driveshaft,i would check that area 1st,as if it was leaking it would leak down the casing
Not getting high enough though.

Ok, dropped the gearbox out and discovered that someone changed the clutch, obviously a Brilliant mechanic, cos they decided to leave this inside:
26062010212.jpg

An 8mm Socket (Makes me MAAAAD!!!!!)
This in turn punctured the casing next to the diff. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
26062010213-1.jpg

Gonna try to seal it up tomorrow with Alu Epoxy ( have drenched it in brake cleaner to remove the grease)
Below some substantial chunks taken out of the housing to fill too.
26062010214.jpg

Wish me luck.

yippeekiay said:
Christ on a bike!!

I bet that's why the last owner sold it, you wanna tell them what you find and ask who did it so we all know to stay well clear of the idyat!!
Yup, bought as seen, car in excellent condition otherwise, knew I'd have to replace shaft seals anyhow but wasn't expecting that shit.
Was trade in to dealer. I bought it off dealer, no traceability.

no such thing as sold as seen from a dealer

you still have basic consumer rights, if you wanted to take action you could..

Not complaining, got it for a grand under value.(Has full ford service history too, apart from the clutch issue)
Thats why sold as seen.
Just Pisses me off who passes for mechanics these days.

agree, mechanics can be a right bunch...

at least youv found it....thats the hard bit.

can you get it welded? (bit silly i know because will always be remnants of oil about...)
metal epoxy sounds good and just in case get hold of a spare box when ones floating around cheap maybe....at least itl be on standby should the epoxy come off & at least you can swap it yourself so no cost other than another weekend under the car!!!

Cleaned, degreased and sanded over and over and over and.....
27062010215.jpg

Close-up of damage;
27062010216.jpg

More rough sanding;
27062010217.jpg

First fill against internal CV housing, hopefully add strength to the repair .
27062010218.jpg

Final fill spread over a large area hopefully reduce the possibility of shrinkage.
27062010219.jpg

Gearbox installed, no leak so far, even after heat cycle. (Fingers crossed)
Take it for run tomorrow.

Excellent work mate :thumbs:

Bet you'll be well chuffed if there's no leaks after todays test run!

Just had 3 to 4 mile run. No leaks :grin: Woo Hoo
Longer run later on today but looking good :thumbs:

Back