led rear brake light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsidlow

hi guys, been reading and getting ideas from this forum and followed some projects out there with some very nice looking pumas

mine is a y reg silver 1.7 with 72,000 and signs of very little wear and sparkly arches

my missus has a v reg medina blue 1.7 with 70,000 and even cleaner paintwork (jealous much)

i am doing he usual electric mods including leds etc

i have come up with problem that i now need some help with

i have upgraded the standard filament bulb to led ones as the below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130451895512?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

however........

the leds light up when you turn the lights on as they should but when you press the brakes the lhs and the centre light up as they should but the rhs doesn't

when the lights are on the light on the lhs gets brighter but the rhs doesn't

any ideas?

are the normal one are 2 filiment there be just the one

LOONEY said:
are the normal one are 2 filiment there be just the one
The normal bulbs are two filament but looks like the ones you have bought are only single.

You need to get this sort of thing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P21-5W-38...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bf78c5c7

2012-10-07-084.jpg

I have these fitted to mine, but there is a slight issue with using them....
The normal bulb has two separate filaments, one for tail light, the other for the brake light. The LED bulbs I linked to above do not have separate 'filaments'... the tail and brake lights are actually the same LEDs. So, when you brake, the brake lights will come on, but the voltage back feeds through the light circuits and is enough to light your side lights every time you brake!
This can be worked around by fitting a diode in the lighting circuit.

thanks for the responses, senatepuma i had seen your post on other threads and thought it wasn't the answer as the light doesn't light up at all when you brake whereas your issue was the sidelights, but the other led bulb and the centre boot lid light both light up. when you have the lights on both led lights light up as they should. When you press the brake pedal the lhs led bulb gets brighter, the centre boot lid bulb lights up but the rhs bulb doesn't GRRRRR!!! :x

however.......

i am buying replacement led bulbs that are a different style which hopefully will remedy the problem

in the meantime 1 normal filament, 1 led in the back looks well stylish lol :roll:

Something to bear in mind when using LED bulbs is the Puma wiring for the lighting (indicators and reverse) is backwards. The wires you would think are positive are actually negative!

I'm running LED indicator bulbs on the rears too (very similar to the ones you have bought) but I had to reverse the polarity as they won't work otherwise.

Well, that's until these are finished!!
2012-12-29-372.jpg

:p

found out that the problem was the bulbs i bought!!!!

2 attempts at sending them back and got refund

i bought these and have done the trick

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230929374134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not as good as what senates would look like but do the trick

Back