LED Tail-lights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

I have changed the lights on the back of the car to LED ones. I got some cheap ebay ones at first but they kept failing, so got some osram ones first then some philips ones. The reverse and indicator lights are fine (I reversed the wires as instructed) however the stop/tail lights keep failing, even with decent bulbs. This is on a car that does less than a thousand miles a year. Is it something to do with too much power going to it?

I am not great with electrics beyond wiring plugs and such. I do have a multimeter (I was middle-aisled in aldi) but I wouldn't have a clue how to measure with it. My thinking is there is enough power going to the light for a traditional bulb, but led bulbs use a fraction of that so maybe its too powerful? Like would it need a resistor or something?

Yes exactly, normally a diode or resistor is used to drop the voltage. What is the voltage rating of your LED light? I'd be surprised that they are not set up for traditional car voltages.

https://skinflint.co.uk/osram-led-retrofits-premium-pr21-5w-red-2w-1557r-02b-a1920186.html

According to that they are twelve volts, the power rating seems fine as well.
Check the voltages and polarity of the connectors on the car side, try putting incandescent types and see if that works.

Boy is my face red. So I go to the car to replace the failed bulb. As I am twisting it, it comes back on. Turns out its not making a great connection. There was a bit of corrosion on the bulb contacts. Gave them a little scrape with a knife and were good to go. Just wish I had checked this last week before I ordered more bulbs :roll:

Latest posts

Back