legal limit !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P7TNY

Advice sought, on my recent MOT I had an advisory note stating one of tyres was close to legal limit.

How long would you leave it before getting it changed, obviously its not on the bare limit and has life left in it, me being a law abiding lad, I do not ant to find myself getting points for having a defective tyre.

I do drive past the local police station each day on my way o work and do not wish to be stopped, saying that I passed for months with a headlight bulb out and no one noticed.

Obviously in the current climate snow rain and ice, is best to get it changed soon, but I feel I could sped 50 on something more interesting, and just ensure I drive safely.

How many more miles would you drive on a tyre close to limit..???

PS I will not give kwick fit any business , bunch of clowns
:p

The legal limit is 1.6mm over 75% of the tyre tread. Personally I would never let a tyre get that low as in the wet it will have hardly any water channelling ability. I would get it done sooner rather than later if they are advising it's close to the legal limit.

Better to be safe than sorry - especially when carrying your most precious cargo in the car - Katie.

I failed my MOT last year for the same reason on both of my rears.

They hadnt been changed since I bought it (6months) I knew they were low and planned to get them changed but hey ho. Never let them get that low as above.

I think 2.5mm is a good area to change.

Change at 3mm. The difference in grip (and therefore personal safety!) is huge below that! There are official figures in some garages and I am sure you could google them if you are interested :)

There is no difference in grip from 7mm of tread to 1mm in the dry. It's in the wet where it counts. :eek:k:

(Hence why they put grooves in F1 tyres to slow them down as there is less grip)

Police cars have they tyres changed with 3mm of tread left. I think there are some videos on YouTube showing the difference between a stop with 3mm of tread and 1.6mm of tread. Tyres are seriously cheap compared to what you could end up paying

Good point Peter.

Best change them at 3mm I think the consensus is.

yes better safe than sorry - just bought my g/f some jeans from Next that could have bought me a new tyre !!!
Possibly next weekend when i have pulled out for car tax, I shall get a new tyre !

Chnaging them in pairs is always a good idea too. try http://www.blackcircles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its adviseable to change tyres at 3mm of wear ( as recommended by the AA and similar bodies), like everyone has said though 1.6mm across 75% of the tyre width is the limit.

theres new avon 195/50/15 tyres on ebay shops for only £27 each!!!i paid £55 each from my local tyre depot!!

mm that's a good price.. i wonder how much people charge to fit if you have the tyres?

ATS near me fitted and balanced one recently for a tenner in hand.

Hubby had bought tyres for his wheels recently and took them to a stapletons near his work. They charged £10 per wheel to take the wheel off, fix the new tyres and put them back on the car

So £37 per wheel for new avons?

£128 doesn't sound to bad for new rubber all round!

ZZ3 avons? I had some of those. Good tyres. Not quite as grippy as toyos, but last longer.

Back