Lumpy kangerooing Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-whizz

Hi folks,

The travails continue but need a bit of help figuring this one out:

Driving along quite merrily when car starts making a metallic graunching noise again, as it did the other week, this time though was accompanied by a real hesitancy that caused the car to stall, I was turning a tight corner onto an industrial estate so maybe drop in revs might partly in effect, anyway, I pulled the car over and restarted and there was a definite vibration present also.

As I'd luckily basically reached my destination there were about 90 mins before I got back to the car, it started up fine and smooth but quickly began to run rough again after a few mins, quite a noticeable vibration and misfire. Decided to limp car the mile or so home and as I set off the metallic noise reappears, I wondered if it was the clutch but the car went into gear fine, and not sure why that would make the car run lumpy etc. etc.? Drive back at first required keeping revs up but then it started badly kangerooing and needed to slip the clutch as well to get it back.

Any useful thoughts as to what could cause my Puma to suddenly become a hiccupy Skippy would be appreciated :grin:

Hi Greg
Sounds like it could do with diagnostics checking as there's a lot going on there. Maybe post "anyone got diagnostics near my address"
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]350075[/post] Hi Greg
Sounds like it could do with diagnostics checking as there's a lot going on there. Maybe post "anyone got diagnostics near my address"
Barry
Hi Barry, cheers, will do, though not sure anyone is around me here in Southport? Not keen on driving it in its current state in case I make it terminal. Might have to just send it to the garage for this one. :roll:

Hi Greg
You can use your laptop to do diagnostics all you need is to go to Forscan and download the software (free) and then buy an ELM327 plug in unit off ebay (a USB one preferably). I had a quick look on my project posting to see if I could find the link that Sinisa (Wild E Coyote) sent me for the ELM327 but if you have a look somewhere past page 8 you'll find it. Total cost less than a tenner and you will have really good diagnostics for your car.
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]350082[/post] Hi Greg
You can use your laptop to do diagnostics all you need is to go to Forscan and download the software (free) and then buy an ELM327 plug in unit off ebay (a USB one preferably). I had a quick look on my project posting to see if I could find the link that Sinisa (Wild E Coyote) sent me for the ELM327 but if you have a look somewhere past page 8 you'll find it. Total cost less than a tenner and you will have really good diagnostics for your car.
Barry
Really?! That sounds great Barry, cheers for the steer, had been thinking of stumping up for a handheld but seems a bit of a minefield, copies galore and then all sorts of different designations etc.
Is it likely to overwhelm a man who didn't know what a windage was? (... but did know what the sump was, thank you Ben :lol:)
Just wondering if after plugging it in I'd actually understand what it was telling me? Is it relatively easy to get to grips with and understand?

Hi Greg
It doesn't seem too bad but TBH I let my son use it on my car as he's a lot better on computers than me but I think I could do it if pressed. The system is a lot better than most hand held units as it incorporates stuff like ABS which most hand helds don't do.
Barry

I read the first post earlier, Greg, but to be honest I think Barry has given you the best advice on this one :lol: otherwise you'll just end up replacing random parts!

tuonokid said:
[post]350087[/post] Hi Greg
It doesn't seem too bad but TBH I let my son use it on my car as he's a lot better on computers than me but I think I could do it if pressed. The system is a lot better than most hand held units as it incorporates stuff like ABS which most hand helds don't do.
Barry
Hahaha....well now he's passed his test send him over! :lol: Just found it on your thread...I'd started at page 5 just in case but it is on page 8...mind I might go back and start from the beginning with it, top work mate! Though how you've managed it with all the other projects I have no idea! :)
moondustka said:
[post]350090[/post] I read the first post earlier, Greg, but to be honest I think Barry has given you the best advice on this one :lol: otherwise you'll just end up replacing random parts!
...but that's been exactly how I've got this far! :lol: Cheers Ben, no worries, it's a bit of an odd set of symptoms so will just have to acquaint myself with diagnostics voodoo :grin:

The Forscan software is easy to use and has a built in demo mode so that you can teach yourself how to use it.
I'm sure you'll also find lots of help on the 'net if needed.
Paul

748 said:
[post]350106[/post] The Forscan software is easy to use and has a built in demo mode so that you can teach yourself how to use it.
I'm sure you'll also find lots of help on the 'net if needed.
Paul
Hi Paul, cheers, yup already neck deep in Forscan, Elmconfig, 500k and FTDI chips and all sorts of malarkey I had no idea about 90mins ago :grin: Just trying to pick a scanner interface that's definitely Windows 10 compatible :eek:k:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-USB-Auto-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Tool-V1-5-/390665722455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5af57dda57

That's the one I'm using but read the Windows 10 after I posted it but from memory the one that Paul has is compatible with 10 so ask him.

This is the one I got. It's the same but modified for more flexibility.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-Modified-Switch-Forscan-Elmconfig-Ford-Mazda-High-Low-CAN-/201560378232?hash=item2eedef4b78
I have used it on a WIndows XP laptop, but haven't yet tried it on Windows 10.
I know that the Forscan software works but at the end of the day it will be down to the USB drivers.
If I get chance this evening I will hook it up and try it.
Paul

g-whizz said:
[post]350084[/post] Just wondering if after plugging it in I'd actually understand what it was telling me? Is it relatively easy to get to grips with and understand?
Because there are 2 routes possible, the answer is yes and sort of yes.

Route #1. - if your sole concern is to fix your car by finding out what's wrong with it, then a self contained scanner tool is plugged into the ECU connector, you turn on the ignition and note any DTC error codes that are given. Look up on the charts to see what those codes mean and you're done.

Simple, easy and this is how it was done for over 10 years since the mid-90's.

Examples of those are here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D900-Universal-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-UK-/221966699147?hash=item33ae3f0a8b:g:WvsAAOSws4JW8Ujz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H4.Xobd.TRS0&_nkw=obd2&_sacat=0

Route #2. - To access DTC error codes, but also more in-depth information, then a ELM327 OBD2 Interface Tool is useful. This connects, again, to the ECU diagnostic connector, but the other end is connected to a PC/Forscan type software or Android tablet and the Torque Pro software app.

Far more information is available, but that does mean there is far more to learn. It also does require the user to be already reasonably familiar with computers/tablets, software and also USB or Bluetooth connections. If someone is not, then the learning curve will be fairly steep. Incidentally, this is the route I personally use.

As above, examples of these are like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-USB-Auto-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Tool-V1-5-/390665722455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5af57dda57

So, as easy or as complicated as you like. I emphasising this as I wouldn't like to see people just ending up doing nothing, because they think the whole subject is too complicated for them, as it's not. :)

Frank said:
[post]
Because there are 2 routes possible, the answer is yes and sort of yes....So, as easy or as complicated as you like. I emphasising this as I wouldn't like to see people just ending up doing nothing, because they think the whole subject is too complicated for them, as it's not. :)

Cheers Frank, am opting for route 2, not the computing side so much as understanding what it's telling me once it works that had me initially concerned. Was worried it was a bit like engine mapping, but seems much less daunting on inspection....he said hopefully :grin:

748 said:
[post]350117[/post] This is the one I got. It's the same but modified for more flexibility.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-Modified-Switch-Forscan-Elmconfig-Ford-Mazda-High-Low-CAN-/201560378232?hash=item2eedef4b78
I have used it on a WIndows XP laptop, but haven't yet tried it on Windows 10.
I know that the Forscan software works but at the end of the day it will be down to the USB drivers.
If I get chance this evening I will hook it up and try it.
Paul
Hi Paul, that's the one I've been checking out... I emailed the seller to ask and his response was a rather unenlightening "hi, yes it should work fine."... it's the should bit that concerns me :roll:

Ordered this, as they have said they will return it if not Windows 10 kosher:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-USB-FoCCCus-ELMconfig-Config-Fully-Compatible-FTDI-/161719937746?
Fingers crossed :)

Latest posts

Back