Me against the coolant leak :-)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felis Concolor

In BG we have a proverb: "Сиромах човек - жив дявол" (eng. - A poor man is a devil alive) :twisted: When I found out that a small coolant leak had occured under the bonnet, I tried to prevent it myself. First attempt was one of those radiator anti-leak bottled rust-coloured stuff - no good. Second attempt was an ordinary fixing tape - not better, either, it simply couldn`t withstand the heat. Finally I came across a different fixing tape - one of those made for broken plastic left-right-lights, being able to withstand temperatures from -35C to +95С, 1m-length for merely BGN 3 (less than EUR 2). Hadn`t actually had high hopes about it but... it worked, and is still doing so :)

What was actually leaking? Just thinking you might want to replace it pretty soon as that tape may not last long; coolant can go above 100C.

Bob

tractorboy said:
...tape may not last long; coolant can go above 100C...
Actually there was a minor leak from the junction between the pipe and the engine right over the gearbox. Sure my "improvement" won`t last for eternity but is good enough for now. As for the coolant`s temperature - I do hope it won`t ever exceed 100C, otherwise the tape would be my smallest "pain in the... bass" :roll:
Thanks anyway, Mr Bob, and may my "know-how" never happens to be a necessity to anyone else!

Felis Concolor said:
In BG we have a proverb: "Сиромах човек - жив дявол" (eng. - A poor man is a devil alive) :twisted: When I found out that a small coolant leak had occured under the bonnet, I tried to prevent it myself. First attempt was one of those radiator anti-leak bottled rust-coloured stuff - no good. Second attempt was an ordinary fixing tape - not better, either, it simply couldn`t withstand the heat. Finally I came across a different fixing tape - one of those made for broken plastic left-right-lights, being able to withstand temperatures from -35C to +95С, 1m-length for merely BGN 3 (less than EUR 2). Hadn`t actually had high hopes about it but... it worked, and is still doing so :)

I had coolant leak as well, on the hose from the radiator to right engine side. I ordered another hose, drained coolant and when I took the clamps off (that was a bitch work, due small space...) realized that the problem was not a hole on the hose,but the deposite, that built up by the clamps! After propably many years, the previous owners didn't care and the deposite become so thick, it pushed the clamp just a little bit away and that space was enough for the coolant to escape.
I cleaned the stone-like deposite off and put hose back with new coolant.

I had put the new clamp a bit too far on the hose and the coolant was leaking again,but another clamp fixed the issue. No leak for a week. But yestersday I looked behind the engine to see the heat protector-another story-and saw another hose with pink deposite around the neck. From engine to hcv. Coolant leak is almost nothing, still cleaned deposite off from outside and will keep an eye on it.

So, forget the tape, will fail very soon. The temperature and pressure through the engine system will be too high to any kind of tape to hold.

Sylvester said:
...The temperature and pressure through the engine system will be too high to any kind of tape to hold.
Smell will tell :) I mean I`ve recently turned myself into kinda Snoopie dog - first task after starting my engine is to smell what comes from the air intakes, so far no coolant smells in. To be honest, I`m quite aware of being "doomed" in my approach but... it`s probably the best a man can get for less than EUR 2 :wink: Keep rollin`!

Felis Concolor said:
Sylvester said:
...The temperature and pressure through the engine system will be too high to any kind of tape to hold.
Smell will tell :) I mean I`ve recently turned myself into kinda Snoopie dog - first task after starting my engine is to smell what comes from the air intakes, so far no coolant smells in. To be honest, I`m quite aware of being "doomed" in my approach but... it`s probably the best a man can get for less than EUR 2 :wink: Keep rollin`!

You can fix this for free, just have to spend a bit of time on it.

1. Drain coolant into bowls -mine was 4 L- when you done, you can pour this back ( unless pink colour turned into brown) and cover them properly.
Don't forget to unscrew coolant top as well.
2. Remove clamps and hose,where it's leaking from ( you might have to remove battery tray to have more space, if you can't due rusty screws on the bottom-like on mine- than, that can be tricky )
3. Clean off deposite from the hose and from the engine part, where the hose goes on. Use only little water and scrubber, no detergents at all. Don't let anything into the engine-but you probably know this.
Now you can see the hose 360 around, so if there's a hole on it, at least you know, you need a new one.
4. If all clean, put clapms and hose back and pour the coolant back as well.

Hopefully all done and no more sniffing around the engine!

If you got a car, sometimes it's unvoidable to spend more money on her, then you planned to do so, but it's all part of the game, with any car. I recommend to get at least new clamps, those are not expensive and worth to swap them to screw-type once.

Sylvester said:
If you got a car, sometimes it's unvoidable to spend more money on her, then you planned to do so, but it's all part of the game, with any car...
That`s exactly what my car has got to do with my wife - they`ve got me spending :lol: Thanks for your kind attitude, Sylvester, I`ll give it a try to follow your recommendations! Best wishes

Latest posts

Back