Mod-sympathetic companies

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalpuma

Right, the time has finally come when I have a mod that cannot be 'buried in the sand' so to speak! I realise all quotes are different as different companies emphasise different criteria e.g. area, sex, NCD etc. but please can we compile a list of modification-friendly companies? Compare the market et al. become slightly useless once you've tinkered!

List so far
Adrian Flux
Sky Insurance
Greenlight

N.B. I do not necessarily advocate these companies and will keep this post grouch-free!

I dont think Virgin are, they would not insure me on my car. I'd been insured with them for 3 consecutive years, i enquired about the premium increase for adding a stainless steel exhaust and they told me they would NOT be able to insure me!

a-plan
boncaster

remember these are all brokers and its different companys that underwrite the policys. the number of mod friendly underwriters has gone down 1/3 in the last 18 months according to my broker! a lot of companys have dropped mods as a bad risk (thanks you moronic chav c% *ts!).

Also remember there is an overlap of underwriters available to brokers.

the bad news is prices have gone up. the good news is if your driving history is good then companys still want your business, conversly a bad history is likely to lead to refusal to cover more now than they used to.

It is especially annoying when my ss exhaust is so subtle and likely doesn't improve bhp at all - it was done almost entirely for longevity!

red said:
I dont think Virgin are, they would not insure me on my car. I'd been insured with them for 3 consecutive years, i enquired about the premium increase for adding a stainless steel exhaust and they told me they would NOT be able to insure me!

Really? Im with them now and they are covering my car with everything declared? strange

As you've only got the exhaust as a performance mod, most companies will give you a quote. Dal used to be with Elephant and had 17" wheels and a lowered suspension. It was only after he changed the exhaust too that he had to change to a more mod-friendly company.

What modifications do you have other than your exhaust Vix? Just having that should mean you can get standard insurance with a note on the policy. As Cherie said, I had insurance on my banger when I got it with Elephant with lowered suspension and 17" wheels declared.

I'm fed up with paying more for my modified 1.7 than a standard FRP.

I'm seriously thinking of selling the 17" multi-spokes I have and just having the exhaust and suspension modifications meaning I can get "normal" insurance with a couple of caveats.

I insured through these this year

http://www.allstylescars.co.uk./#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Insurance Centre, Clacton Road,
Elmstead Market, Colchester, Essex, CO7 7AA

Telephone 01206 821330

Pumadaddy said:
as daft as it sounds, it may be worth mentioning that you are a member of an owner's club, it knocked £25 off mine for being in the XROC

It doesn't sound daft at all Pumadaddy. Our stats cleatly show that the customer who takes the time to look after/modify their car and join an owners club is a lesser insurance risk than your average Joe. This is exactly why we offer our discount/prefferential rates to our affiliated car club members.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Back