More Fudster Problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

So yesterday the fudster wouldnt start. Nothing a jump from the ever reliable puma wouldnt fix, who would never let me down :wub:

I knew the battery wasnt brilliant,but it has started the fiesta when it hasnt moved in a week so it couldnt be that bad. A quick check confirmed it was the original ford battery, so being 12 years old i decided a new one was inevitable. Went to halfords, picked up one with a 4 year guarantee. Swapped it over, starts first time, jobs a good 'en.

Alas, its not that simple. Now, it wont idle without cutting out. Every time you dip the clutch, if the throttle isnt down, it cuts out. It restarts fine, and will run happily so long as its got a little bit of throttle, so im thinking idle control valve? Is it just bad timing its gone with the new battery?

DradusContact said:
Went to halfords, picked up one with a 4 year guarantee.

Note to anybody else after a new battery.

Halfords prices are way to high - only use them as a last resort.

Partco will sell you identical spec for 2/3rds the money or less.

My first stop was motorworld, where i bought my battery, but it was closed (at 3.30pm)

I'd guessed Halford's wasn't your first choice.

I think I saved something close to £40 last time I went to Partco.

Drady, it's located here:

IdleControlValvecircled.jpg

And can be removed using socket/spanner (10mm i think)

I read this guide from the clubgti site:
http://www.clubgti.com/downloads/ISV_clean.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They use petrol to clean it, you can also use carb cleaner, brake cleaner etc.

If you have a crack take some pictures of on, off holes, before clean after clean and fitted and make a how-to if you like?

Not sure if this helps?

:)

Try not to get the cleaning product of choice on any electrical components.

Ok cheers Red, i shall try that when i get chance. Hopefully the endura engine isnt too diss-similar.

Hmmmm. Ive taken the thing off, but it didnt seem dirt inside. Have i got the right thing?

01112008586.jpg

01112008585.jpg

This is where it came from:
01112008584.jpg

As a short term fix is there any way to adjust the throttle cable so at idle its tighter?

Update on problem. Since i tinkered with the valve, the car hasnt cut out.

However, it now keeps over-revving, like the throttle is sticky. While driving along at 30 on a straight road amanda didnt need to put her foot on the accelrator to maintain speed.

help!

Check over everything you've taken off, make sure bits are tight etc.

I assume it wasn't doing this before hand?

No, gone from cutting out from too slow too over-revving too fast! I didnt actually do anything, just took the valve off, poked a screw driver in it, then shoved it back on.

Take care you may now have an air leak ( i don't know how ICV is sealed )
could be running lean as a result ( unless ECU adds fuel ?)

Is there a gasket , rusty surface ?

DradusContact said:
However, it now keeps over-revving, like the throttle is sticky. While driving along at 30 on a straight road amanda didnt need to put her foot on the accelrator to maintain speed.

help!

You have maybe just discovered a low-cost cruise control mod :-D

Update. Read on ZSOC that carb cleaner is good at cleaning ICV and the like. So got a can of this for £5 and this seems to have cured it. You would be amazed at the amount of crap that came out of the valve. It cut out a couple of times on the way to the asda, but coming back it ran fine all the way, so i think ive cured it! Ha-zaa!

Back